Shoofly pie recipes?

Reaction score
Hello all. One of our favorites is shoofly pie, which is a sweet molasses pie. It goes good with black coffee. Does anyone have good recipes? We'd like to try some with a little less sugar.

Thank you. :)

Reaction score
They sell this at the Almish food stand at the local farmers market. I have never tired because it looks so strange. As far as less sugar Molassses if fulll of sugar so I don''t think there is any way to reduce the amount of sweetness.

Reaction score
I've heard about a shoofly pie most of my life and have never even saw one :) post a picture when you bake one and give us a review on what it taste like,please

Reaction score
I found this online....

http://www.food.com/recipe/authentic-shoo-fly-pie-straight-from-lancaster-co-163320

As for the sweetness, I agree about there being a lot of molasses, so I don't know of any way that you would be able to lessen the sweetness, unless you added another ingredient.

To help cut the "sweet" in the pie, you might try adding one of these to the mixture--

2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 cup chopped, salted peanuts
1 cup crushed up salted pretzels (this would change the texture of the pie)

Or you can serve it with a sour cream/whipped cream topping, vanilla bean ice cream, or something like that.

Traditional-Shoo-Fly-Pie-1.jpg

Cooking with molasses is tricky, but once you understand how it works when cooking and baking, you will know how to use it the way you need too.

Ask a Question