Shortbread biscuits/cookies

Discussion in 'Cookies' started by Lee_C, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Lee_C

Lee_C Well-Known Member

Thanks NCB! :) Yes, I think I'm always going to have problems using my offset spatula with the 8 x 8 tin. Even if the tin were shallower, the spatula including handle is too long to fit within the walls properly. I might try seeing if I can bend the angle of the blade a bit more, something around 45 degrees, so that the handle is more vertical. Nope, you explained the process very well.
    I left it for about 15 minutes and then made the cuts. But I've got all pieces on 2 plates in the fridge now so tomorrow I'll melt the chocolate.

I've made quite a few things that are slightly underbaked! Kind of annoying. I guess I should have cooked it for the full 45 minutes at least, perhaps even 50.

I ended up with 33 larger pieces which is more than enough for me. But with an 8 x 8 tin and the dough cut into 2" x 1/2" rectangles, I think I should have had 64. And I did use a ruler sitting across the lips of the tin, but the problem was I couldn't actually get the ruler down inside the tin, so I eyeballed it and used my plastic dough scraper to score it. But my lines were wonky giving uneven sized sections. I can buy a half length ruler though, that would work better. Or maybe I need one of those metal dough cutters that have centimetre and inch markings on. Once I slowly and very carefully lifted it out of the tin (that was certainly a precarious moment for fear of it all falling apart!) I cut it again but I had to follow the uneven scoring that was still visible.

Next time, I'll do what you do and completely leave the scoring until it's out of the tin so that I can slice right up against a ruler.

Also, before baking, the dough was getting very soft in the tin and made scoring and fork perforations more messy. I did chill it for 15 minutes before baking but probably should have also chilled for a few minutes before scoring and docking.

Yes a cake ring would be easier! I'll have to consider getting one. I look forward to hearing how your corn and rice flour combo is when you've made it. And, if the tin your sister gave you is dark, I guess you'll be wanting to bake for longer on a lower heat?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    Lee_C, Jul 26, 2019
    Norcalbaker59 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Lee_C

Norcalbaker59 Well-Known Member

Shortbread can become an obsession... after chocolate chip cookies I think I made more shortbread than anything else. So be forewarned :cool:

Yes I’ll definitely reduce the temperature if I use the tin my sister gave me. It’s really a lovely tin, the decorations on it are quite nice. It’s just the dark metal:(

Yes I always use my 8” cake ring for shortbread. 2 x 1/2” fingers is the perfect serving size.

Your 8” tin has the removable bottom, yes? That would make it a lot easier than a regular tin. I don’t know how people can make shortbread in a standard cake tin.

When I first started baking I under baked quite a bit as well. It took me a while to understand when something was fully baked. I still hesitate now and again. And with some things it’s better to be a little under baked then over baked, like a chocolate chip cookie. :D

Norcalbaker59, Jul 26, 2019
    Lee_C likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Lee_C

Lee_C Well-Known Member

Yeah, could well become an obsession for me, along with my almond macaroons. :D

Yes, my tin is the Paul Hollywood one. Very good quality metal in a sort of light gold/bronze colour with removeable base. Although when I made brownies and lemon bars with it, I didn't use the loose base, I lined it with paper with flaps overhanging the sides held by clips, so I can pull the whole lot out quite easily.

Ooh, choc chip cookies. Do you mean the super chewy ones? I love those! We have some over here in the shops called Maryland cookies which I'm not keen on, they're small, crispy and not chewy. But I love handmade double choc or white choc with macadamia nuts, the larger flatter slightly gooey chewy ones.

Lee_C, Jul 26, 2019
  4. Lee_C

Lee_C Well-Known Member

Well, I finished. Not as clean looking decorations as I wanted but it's ok I guess :)

20190726_170641.jpg 20190726_170751.jpg

Lee_C, Jul 26, 2019
  5. Lee_C

I do you like those removable bottom tins. They’re very difficult to find in the US. There is only one company that I know of that produces them, and you have to purchase them online. But the manufacturer is a very good company. Problem is the shipping cost is always so hard so every time I think I’m going to purchase them I get discouraged by the shipping cost.

Well I’ll have to give you a chocolate chip cookie recipe. I’m all about the chewy chocolate chip cookie. Are used to make a really good white chocolate macadamia nut. But my recipe is long outdated. It was a combination of butter and shortening, Which was a common combination 20 years ago. It was an incredible cookie. But I refuse to use shortening in any of my baked goods these days. So it has sat for years waiting for me to update it

Norcalbaker59, Jul 27, 2019
  6. Lee_C

Well you’re short bread turned out quite lovely. The color is nice and light; the shape and proportion is good; and the crumb looks quite good. I say passed Shortbread 101.

Norcalbaker59, Jul 27, 2019
    Lee_C likes this.
  7. Lee_C

Lee_C Well-Known Member

I took a few of the biscuits along to my gig last night and my band members loved them! One said it's crumblier than he normally likes but that the flavour was spot on. None of them stopped at one piece. :D I gave a couple of pieces for the bandleader to take home to his wife. She messaged me this morning saying
    "Hi Lee, your shortbread biscuits were ' melt in the mouth' gorgeous!!! Thank you".

So thank you NCB for your recipe, it's a winner :)

Lee_C, Jul 27, 2019
  8. Lee_C

Well I’m glad your friends enjoyed your shortbread. That’s what baking is all about. Yes homemade shortbread is always softer than commercially produced shortbread. Commercially shortbread has significantly less butter produce a firmer cookie. Otherwise it could not survive shipment. When I make a cut out cookie I drop the butter to 70%. Otherwise the cookie crumble apart.

Norcalbaker59, Jul 28, 2019
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question