Shortbread biscuits/cookies

Reaction score
Back here to say arrowroot starch was extremely tender - even at only 15%. could be the brand of starch i was using.

I didn't manage to take a pic - basically biscuit broke in half after i cooked it down and was moving the parchment sling with biscuit to cooling rack. All the other shortbreads held together during the short movement. great mouthfeel and meltiness though.

1009.5% protein flour (unbleached)
15Arrowroot starch
80Butter
35Sugar
0.008salt

Reaction score
Back here to say arrowroot starch was extremely tender - even at only 15%. could be the brand of starch i was using.

I didn't manage to take a pic - basically biscuit broke in half after i cooked it down and was moving the parchment sling with biscuit to cooling rack. All the other shortbreads held together during the short movement. great mouthfeel and meltiness though.

1009.5% protein flour (unbleached)
15Arrowroot starch
80Butter
35Sugar
0.008salt

oh that’s really interesting. I didn’t know what kind of affect arrowroot would have on wheat flour.

I use arrowroot in very small percentage in gluten-free flour blend for my pie crust (11%). It’s a blend of rice flours, sorghum. Couple of starches including arrowroot. The arrowroot is there to give it some softness because rice flour can be gritty. Of course I used binders in my blend. I’m still using xanthan gum because I can’t find another good binder. Now I’m wondering if the arrowrit is interfering with some of the non-gum binders I have tried. Maybe I should eliminate the arrowroot and try some of the other binding ingredients and see if they work.

Reaction score
oh that’s really interesting. I didn’t know what kind of affect arrowroot would have on wheat flour.

I use arrowroot in very small percentage in gluten-free flour blend for my pie crust (11%). It’s a blend of rice flours, sorghum. Couple of starches including arrowroot. The arrowroot is there to give it some softness because rice flour can be gritty. Of course I used binders in my blend. I’m still using xanthan gum because I can’t find another good binder. Now I’m wondering if the arrowrit is interfering with some of the non-gum binders I have tried. Maybe I should eliminate the arrowroot and try some of the other binding ingredients and see if they work.
if it helps, i was using Bob's red mill arrowroot starch.
When i did tapioca at 15% recipe as above, the tapioca never gave way. both starches were cooled for 5 mins in pans before i move the parchment sling to cooling rack.

That said, I might try arrowroot starch at a lower / higher percentage. :) and longer baking times. JUST to use it up. hahahah

Reaction score
if it helps, i was using Bob's red mill arrowroot starch.
When i did tapioca at 15% recipe as above, the tapioca never gave way. both starches were cooled for 5 mins in pans before i move the parchment sling to cooling rack.

That said, I might try arrowroot starch at a lower / higher percentage. :) and longer baking times. JUST to use it up. hahahah

That’s the brand I use as well. If you do make it with lower percentage, let me know how it turns out.

Ask a Question