Slow Cooker Banana Bread

Reaction score
I don't know why but I have a mental fixation over a Marlboro commercial that was aired on TV long, long years ago. This commercial depicted several cowboys gathered around a bonfire where they were boiling fresh bread in a pot.

Eventually I managed to get the recipe for such boiled bread, but later I lost it, and therefore I have been trying to make non-oven bread since. In this quest, I found some bread recipes which preparation involves a slow cooker. Not what I remember because the boiled bread in the commercial was ready in matter of a few minutes, but either way interesting if you have one of those crock pots/slow cookers and would like to try this recipe out.

Crockpot Banana Bread

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup shortening
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 cups well mashed, overripe banana (2 or 3 bananas)
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)

Instructions:
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- With the electric beater on low, fluff the shortening in a small bowl, until soft and creamy.
- Add sugar gradually. Beat in the eggs in a slow stream.
- With a fork, beat in 1/3 of the flour mixture, 1/2 the bananas another 1/3 of the flour mixture, the rest of the bananas then the last of the flour mixture.
- Fold in the walnuts.
- Turn into a greased and floured baking unit or a 2 1/2 quart mold and cover.
- Place on a rack in the slow cooker.
- Cover the cooker, but prop the lid open with a toothpick or a twist of foil to let the excess steam escape.
- Cook on high for 4 to 6 hours.
- Cool on a rack for 10 minutes. Serve Warm.

Makes 4 to 6 servings

Reaction score
And I have bananas in my freezer that must be used up. Looks like a weekend project! Thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
WOW! I am always surprised by what can be made in the crockpot!!! Have you tried it?
Is it any good? It seems like it would be too moist? But that is just me being surprised that you can make
bread in a crockpot!!! I'd love to hear if anyone tries it or has tried it and how it turns out.
I love banana bread too and I also love my crockpot!!! LOL :)

Reaction score
Banana nut bread is one of my favorites. Never heard of a crock pot recipe, but I will try anything once. You have me fascinated with the Marlboro commecial. I have never heard of boiled bread. If you find out, please let us know.

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure everything can be made in a crockpot now lol, so cool. I've never had bread this way.. interesting!

Reaction score
I definitely need to try this!! I tried making regular bread in the crock pot and it was a huge fail. I feel it was the recipe that I used but who knows! Try try again!

Reaction score
Wow, I would have never thought I could bake in my slow cooker. I am going to try this recipe tonight! I was going to make some banana bread out of some bananas that are sitting in my kitchen, so no I can try something new thanks to you.

Reaction score
I didn't know a slow cooker baked bread. I never bake in my slow cooker. I cook soups and stews in it. I plan to share this recipe with my mom.

Reaction score
Wow! I have never made bread in the crock pot before! I've never even heard of it being done! It's always so awesome to hear of all the possibilities you can do in the kitchen! :) This would certainly be worth trying!
Has anyone tried it? Did it work out? How did it taste?

Reaction score
I can only imagine how great the house would smell when making something like this - that alone would give me a reason to try this out.

I'm curious if any of you have tried this out since it was originally posted, and if so, how did it come out? I would like to give it a shot, and I can only imagine how moist it would probably be. My only concern would be if it cooked evenly all the way through or not. I know from previous cooking in my crock pot that the sides can sometimes scorch, especially when cooking stuff with a lot of sugar in it for a long time. I'm also wondering if the condensation on the top of the lid dripping back in might cause the center to not cook evenly.

I may give this a try anyhow just for fun.

Reaction score
Wow, the things that people can come up with amazes me. I would have never thought to cook any sort of bread in a slow cooker. This is interesting. I have to give this a try at least once.

Reaction score
After reading your post, I was thinking of other things that we could bake in a crock pot. I imagine we could make things like chocolate pudding or bread and butter pudding with it, the texture tends to be heavier and more moist than banana bread so perhaps a slow cooker might be ideal for it?

Reaction score
I have never thought to make banana bread in a slow cooker. I have never really heard of making any sort of bread in there. I may have to try this. It sounds pretty easy.

Reaction score
I don't know why but I have a mental fixation over a Marlboro commercial that was aired on TV long, long years ago. This commercial depicted several cowboys gathered around a bonfire where they were boiling fresh bread in a pot.

Eventually I managed to get the recipe for such boiled bread, but later I lost it, and therefore I have been trying to make non-oven bread since. In this quest, I found some bread recipes which preparation involves a slow cooker. Not what I remember because the boiled bread in the commercial was ready in matter of a few minutes, but either way interesting if you have one of those crock pots/slow cookers and would like to try this recipe out.

Crockpot Banana Bread

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup shortening
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs, well beaten

Instructions:
- With the electric beater on low, fluff the shortening in a small bowl, until soft and creamy.
- With a fork, beat in 1/3 of the flour mixture, 1/2 the bananas another 1/3 of the flour mixture, the rest of the bananas then the last of the flour mixture.
- Fold in the walnuts.
- Cover the cooker, but prop the lid open with a toothpick or a twist of foil to let the excess steam escape.

Makes 4 to 6 servings

Can I use butter instead of shortening?

Reaction score
I absolutely love banana bread, but have never thought of making it in the slow cooker! That looks delicious! I will have to try that!

Reaction score

Crockpot Banana Bread

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup shortening
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs, well beaten

Instructions:
- Fold in the walnuts.

Makes 4 to 6 servings
Do you have any pictures of the process or the end result?

Ask a Question