Smaller Cakes

Reaction score
Hello - I need to make smaller cakes ! we have two sets of grandparents and I want to make them both a cake but a normal-sized baking tin means the cake is too big so I end up cutting it in half -but it doesn't look great so I'd love to bake smaller cakes - anyone got any recommendations ?

Reaction score
Hi. I have found that if you bake a sheet cake, I.e. in a large tray, you can then cut out circles or squares to any size. Stack and ice them and they look fab. This saves the need to buy multiple size baking tins. For a change you could do a triangle. Experiment it is great fun.

Reaction score
  • In the US, professional bakers use baking sheets. Fully lining the sheet with parchment prevents an over baked dry brown crust; helps bake the cake evenly and preventing that domed center; helps turn the cake out to cool without it cracking or breaking apart. I was have private conversations with a member on baking such cakes recently, and posted photos on how to fully line the baking sheet.

• An American 1/2 sheet (aka jelly roll) requires about 1500 mL of cake batter. When filling the cake sheet, pour the batter along the edge and allow the batter to flow toward the center. Take an offset spatula and first ease into the corners. Then spread evenly.

• To cut cake circles uniformly, we use cake rings. The come in a variety of sizes and shapes. With the leftover cake scrapes, use a small cutter to cut mini circles to make a mini cake.

BF597E96-2C99-4455-9F27-8360B8CB5ADD.jpeg

• Cake circles can be combined with food grade acetate cake strips to stack and decorate the cake. Line the cake ring with an acetate strip.
  • Cake tools: cake circle, 4” acetate cake strip, cake boards, pastry bag, pastry tips/nozzles, offset spatula, metal ruler, level, turntable, cake scraper
    • Place a cake board inside.
    • Place first cake layer on cake board.
    • Apply flavored syrup if using
    • Pipe a dam of meringue buttercream around edge of cake. (see note below)
    • From center to the dam: in a spiral configuration, pipe filling
    • Place next second layer and process until the top layer
    • Apply flavored syrup to UNDERSIDE NOT THE TOP OF THE TOP LAYER if using so as not to undermine the structure of the top of the cake
    • After placing the top layer with the syrup side down, place a parchment circle on top
    • Check the cake for level; DO NOT BUTTERCREAM THE TOP UNTIL THE CAKE IS LEVEL
    • When the cake is level, remove the parchment circle
    • From the center to the edge pipe a spiral of buttercream
    • With an offset spatula smooth the buttercream using the edge of the acetate strip as a guide
    • In on smooth movement, run the straight edge of the metal ruler* across the top of the buttercream using the acetate strip as a guide. (*any tools used on food should be purchased specifically for and designated for kitchen use only)
    • Chill the cake to set the buttercream, about 15 minutes
    • Remove cake circle and acetate strip
    • Place cake on turntable on a non-skid mat
    • With a Wilton 789 or wide basketweave with the teeth facing the cake, pipe buttercream around the cake
    • Working quickly smooth sides with a cake scraper
    • Check for any bare spots on the cake
    • Remove the excess buttercream around the top
    • Chill the cake until it sets
    • Bring a pan of water to a simmer
    • With the offset spatula, apply any buttercream to any divots. Dip the spatula in the hot water to heat, then dry. lightly run it over any rough spots to smooth

Acetate cake strips are sold in 2”, 4” and 5”. They are sold in individual strips and in rolls. I purchase them from the restaurant supply store, but I’ve seen them at cakes specialty stores in the US. i’m not sure where you can purchase them in the UK. But they definitely need to be food product.
80C8A5BE-E8B8-411A-B47B-4C36A00C71AC.jpeg

Ask a Question