Snow Cream

Reaction score
I know this isn't baking-related, but close enough.

We finally got snow here in eastern NC...about five inches. It rarely snows here, and when it does, it pretty much never snows this much. I'm so excited about it.

Does anyone know how to make snow cream? I would love to do it and have even collected some snow in a clean pot for the purpose. Does it actually taste good? Does anyone have any tips?

Reaction score
Here is a great resource for you to make snow cream:
http://chemistry.about.com/od/snowsnowflakes/a/snowicecream.htm
My sister lives in Indiana and they have been blasted with snow lately. She taught her two little girls how to make snow cream and this is what they did:
They of course gathered fresh snow. (Make sure its clean!)
They then add a can of condensed milk and a teaspoon of vanilla extract. They then mix it really well.
Next they add their toppings. Fruit, sprinkles, chocolate sryup, ect.
Enjoy!

Reaction score
I've never heard of snow cream!!! I live in Virginia and we just got some of the snow you got but we only got around 2 inches. I'm interested in possibly trying this snow cream before all of the snow is gone. Unfortunately, the sun has popped out today so I might be too late!!

Reaction score
We used to make that when we had a place to collect clean snow. Living in an apartment doesn't always allow for that unfortunately. Now that we're in a new place I haven't been able to make it this year even though we've had enough snow to do so. What I used to do is add a few teaspoons of vanilla and a little milk. I'd make it in separate bowls - 1 for each person. Seemed to work best that way :) I hope you were able to make and enjoy yours.

Reaction score
I haven't gotten to make any snow cream this year, but I do typically love to fix it with my kids when we get a good snow.

I add milk, a tsp of vanilla and sugar to taste and stir it until it is the right consistency.

Make sure that it can all be eaten right away because it doesn't keep.

Reaction score
I like the idea of making it in individual bowls and then each kid can add their own toppings to it. This week was the first time we have been able to make snow cream in years!

Reaction score
I have heard of snow cream.There have been recipes poping up all over the internet lately. I guess the record snow fall numbers has got people looking for ways to have fuun with the snow. I have to wonder with all the air pollution, is it still safe to eat snow?

Reaction score
I think you're right NThomas... These cold temps are making us all head inside to find fun things to do. I think this is definitely one of them. I've never tried adding toppings to snow cream though... Maybe something new I should try sometime.

Ask a Question