Store-bought vs. Homemade

Reaction score
Do you think the taste is worth the effort of making cookies from scratch? I personally really like some store-bought cookies that you only need to bake. An advantage is that you don't have to worry about forgetting an ingredient - all you need to do is scoop the dough out and let it bake! Will other bakers find this question blasphemous to their dedicated baking efforts?

Reaction score
It may be easer to just scoop and bake dough , but they are just not the same. Sure you can get a cookie fresh hot cookie in a short amount of time , but there is a trade off. There is nothing like a homemade cookie I have yet to find a pre made grocery store cookie dough that can competes with homemade. If it convenience you want , make your own dough roll it balls and freeze .You can bake them at you leisure.

Reaction score
I too (sometimes) like the convenience of premade cookie dough. In fact I just made some last night! And while they are good, I would have to agree with NThomas! There is just something about freshly made you just can't beat! My daughter told me that she thinks the premade ones are ok but she thinks mine are way better!!! Talk about incentive to bake!!! :)

I made some cookies for her to take to school the other day and she said they were gone w/in minutes!! And, they were just chocolate chip cookies!! LOL I know I can also taste something different in the store-bought pre made dough ones.

I like the idea of making your own and then freezing them in balls to make at a later date!

Reaction score
I like to get ready made cookies as well, but I think that homemade cookies are better. There are some store bought cookies that are really good as well. I sometimes have a hard time choosing between the two, but I will say that I do like homemade the best.

Reaction score
A majority of the pre-made cookie dough here has egg in them and I can't eat eggs, so I tend to bake my own cookies. Sometimes they turn out amazing, but sometimes they don't compare to the ones that are on the store shelves. I love making chocolate chip cookies though. I think it's worth it because you can share it with others. I’ll admit that I personally have a stash of oreo cookies; I love those things and the best thing is that it doesn’t contain eggs! :oops:

Reaction score
I love oreo cookies as well. I have a big stash that I keep hidden so that nobody will eat them up. I love to eat them all the time and I don't like to share so if my family knows I have any they try to eat them up from me. So I hide them.

Reaction score
Well, I admit oftentimes the trade off for convenience to sacrificing a bit of taste is worth it, when you're short on time or just want a simple prep....but I think there is enough of a difference to make it worth the effort for special occasions/reasons at least. I've yet to find a store bought option that really compares to home made goodness :).

Reaction score
Yeah store bought is good but homemade is a lot better. I know that they have a lot of store bought foods out there that is suppose to be just like homemade, but not all of them taste like homemade.

Reaction score
I like some commercial cookies, but I prefer to bake my own even if in a hurry. The secret is to have a collection of recipes that include different prep/baking times. Some cookies may take as low as 5 minutes to get the dough done, 5 more minutes in the oven and yet tasty as those that require longer times to get them done.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I like some store-bought cookies. But homemade beats them all hands down. Most cookies don't take a lot of time to make and it's cheaper too. I would say almost everyone would have all the ingredients on hand. The only I would need for chocolate chip cookies would be the chocolate chips. I could make sugar cookies/sand tarts almost anytime because I usually have all the ingredients.

Reaction score
I think it's best to make homemade cookies because it is more personal and you get a sense of accomplishment whenever you make them and everybody enjoys eating them.

Reaction score
Depends on the cookie, and depends on the store.

A chocolate chip cookie, or an oatmeal one, is probably I something I can do better than your average Safeway stocked brand. But I can't make an Oreo!

And there there are bakery cookies, there are certainly places that can make cookies better than I can on my best day! :)

Reaction score
I still like homemade vs store bought. I know that they have a bakery that does good cookies, but I like making them myself the most.

Reaction score
Blasphemy! lol. I would only eat baked goods if I knew all the ingredients. And now that I'm eating as cleanly as possibly, there just isn't a cookie made that I want to eat. If it's not an oil I won't eat, it's soy or dairy or... maybe some day they'll find a way for me to live without food, because I'm almost there haha.

Reaction score
sometimes I will get the sugar cookie dough already made, and make cookie cups and fill them. It is the convenient factor for me. Other than that, I try to do home made.

Oreos... now that is ONE cookie I will not make at home because you can't beat an oreo :)

Reaction score
I agree. Oreo is one cookie that is always store bought. I live Oreos, but I wouldn't try to make them at home. I don't think I could get it right if I tried.

Reaction score
Do you think the taste is worth the effort of making cookies from scratch? I personally really like some store-bought cookies that you only need to bake. An advantage is that you don't have to worry about forgetting an ingredient - all you need to do is scoop the dough out and let it bake! Will other bakers find this question blasphemous to their dedicated baking efforts?
I have never bought store bought cookie dough so I can't say anything on that but I like to make a big batch of cookie dough then I roll out the dough freeze it and store it. I can take out what I need for that day. My mom did this when I was growing up so we always had fresh baked cookies and they didn't get hard and stale.

Reaction score
There are certain brands of store bought cookies that I would purchase instead of homemaking. With that being said, I think that homemade is better as you know what you are really getting. Store bought cookies are good but there is always a trade off.

Reaction score
I agree there is always a trade off with store bought cookies. I like homemade cookies the best because they have that warm homey taste that I like. Plus they are a good way to spend time baking with family.

Reaction score
It's undoubted (for me at least) that home made cookies taste infinitely better than store bought. I love the crunchy on the outside, gooey on the inside feel that homemade cookies give. On the other hand, the convenience of store bought cookies are unparalleled. You don't need to spend 30 minutes baking them. So I suppose for me it comes down to a question of whether or not I have the time to bake them or not.

Ask a Question