substitute for oil?

Reaction score
I am trying to find ways to reduce the fat in some of my recipes so I am able to use them in the daycare. I have heard you can substitute applesauce in the place of oil. Do I substitute an even amount, like a cup for a cup or do I have to add more/less that the amount of oil needed? Also, is there anything other than applesauce that can be a healthier substitute to oil?

Reaction score
I have used an even substitution with applesauce for oil and haven't had a problem. I've never used anything else as a substitute, but it would be nice to see what others have to suggest!!

Reaction score
Applesauce works, I've used it before. If you want something a little healthier I suppose you could make your own applesauce so you know that there isn't any added sugar in it. Mashed bananas also work well in some cases - particularly with brownies. You'll wind up with more of a "cake" like brownie, but they are still really good and satisfy that chocolate fix.

I've even seen recipes that call for avocado or even black beans in brownies instead of the oil.

Ask a Question