Substitute mayo for eggs and oil in Cake Mix or Recipe

Reaction score
Have any of you tried this? I was out of eggs once and learned about this, and it makes the moistest cakes ever. Leave out the eggs and replace the amount of oil called for with mayonnaise. Be sure to let your cake cool thoroughly or it will fall apart.

*I actually use a touch less mayo than what is called for.

Reaction score
Ehh, it sounds like an awesome and handy tip, but not sure I'd ever dare to use mayo to prepare a cake! It sounds kinda... well, odd to me! I guess I'd need to know the specifics before embarking on that culinary adventure, lol.

Reaction score
I know what you mean. I felt the same way. Then, I needed a cake and had no eggs, so I tried it. Mayo is made from eggs and oil. You're simply replacing separate portions of eggs and oil, with the same two ingredients, but already combined together. If the recipe calls for 2 eggs and 1/3 cup of oil, leave out the eggs and oil and just add 1/3 cup of mayo. Moistest cake ever.

Reaction score
Hmmm...well my knee-jerk reaction was a big "no way!" too but when you put it that way, lol. It sounds like it could work in a pinch, at the very least. Thanks for the tip :).

Reaction score
For sure. I thought it sounded... ewww when I first heard of it. I was thinking no way as well. It took me a long time to try it, and then only in a pinch. I'm glad I did though. It does something completely different (and good) to the texture of the cake.

Reaction score
Substituting mayo for eggs and oil really makes sense. Mayo is mostly eggs and oil so I really can see how that would work. I would never do it because I have a strange aversion to mayo. I'm also not surprised that the cake turned out to be very moist. I saw someone make homemade mayo on the Food Network. I was surprised at how simple it was.

Reaction score
It really does completely change the texture of the cake. That was very unexpected. I figured I wouldn't see much difference, considering it's basically the same ingredients.

Reaction score
I wish I would have seen this last night as I made cupcakes. I am definitely doing this the next cake I make. I am a serious junk food junky that doesn't like cake unless it is super moist. I have learned that adding a bit more oil to the cake batter seemed to make the cake more moist than if I had simply followed the directions on the box. I also hated that it was extra oil that I was adding. This sounds as though it would be Mich better and from the way you keep emphasizing that the cake was the moistest cake ever, I am so eager to try. I will be back once I do to thank you :)

Reaction score
Have any of you tried this? I was out of eggs once and learned about this, and it makes the moistest cakes ever. Leave out the eggs and replace the amount of oil called for with mayonnaise. Be sure to let your cake cool thoroughly or it will fall apart.

*I actually use a touch less mayo than what is called for.
Absolutely! My mother made a chocolate mayonnaise cake every week when I was growing up. I hated mayonnaise but I never knew it was in the cake!! I found out when I was older lol. The cake does not taste like mayonnaise so dont worry folks!!!

Reaction score
I hadn't made one in years, but i did this past week because of this thread! Used a Devil's Food mix and subbed the 1/2 cup of oil and 3 eggs with 1/2 cup Best Foods. CRAZY moist! It basically turned back to pudding once i put it in my mouth. My mom said it was almost gummy, my friend said it stuck to the roof of his mouth... But i did do some analysis and it is lower in fat and cholesterol than using eggs and oil, and depending on the market, a little less expensive! I'll use a little less next trial, and go with a yellow to see if the tang of the vinegar comes through (the bitter of the chocolate hid it well).

Reaction score
I hadn't made one in years, but i did this past week because of this thread! Used a Devil's Food mix and subbed the 1/2 cup of oil and 3 eggs with 1/2 cup Best Foods. CRAZY moist! It basically turned back to pudding once i put it in my mouth. My mom said it was almost gummy, my friend said it stuck to the roof of his mouth... But i did do some analysis and it is lower in fat and cholesterol than using eggs and oil, and depending on the market, a little less expensive! I'll use a little less next trial, and go with a yellow to see if the tang of the vinegar comes through (the bitter of the chocolate hid it well).
I am not a fan of chocolate cake. However when my mother found the recipe for chocolate mayonnaise cake on the label of a Best Food's (Hellman's) mayo jar and decided to try baking one, I couldn't get enough of it. It is the best tasting and moisttest chocolate cake I have ever eaten. I am wondering though how it would work (taste) in a cake mix other than chocolate. I am preparing to bake a Lemon Supreme cake with lemon buttercream frosting and I think that I will give it a go.The mayonnaise works so well in chocolate cake mixes because the tiny bit of vinegar in the mayo brings out and intensifies the flavor of the chocolate. I am pretty sure that it won't ruin the Lemon Supreme mix but as to whether or not it will help it I can't be sure until I try. At the very least I believe that the cake will be much more moist and hopefully it will glisten like the chocolate cakes do.I will try to post an update on my success (or failure) once I finish my experiment. My prediction? DELISH!

Reaction score
I was told about mayo in cakes years ago at first i found it weird but after i tried it a couple times it made sense as it made the cake unbelievably moist everytime.

J13

Reaction score
Does mayo cake crumble when you frost it, and can you use lite mayo? Anyone?
I've never made cake with mayo, and so can't answer the question...but why would you use lite mayo? I mean, to my way of thinking, if you're making a cake, you might as well go for it ;) How much of a difference, calorie-wise, could it make given the sugar and frosting and all? Use the lite mayo on that sandwich where lettuce replaces the bread.... :D

Reaction score

No it does not crumble. The main ingredients in mayonnaise is egg and oil. Mayo is an emulsion of oil, water, and eggs. In a mayonnaise cake, the mayonnaise simply replaces the egg and butter or oil in the cake.

Yes you can use light mayonnaise. However it will affect the texture of the cake because it has less egg and oil and more water. It also contains cornstarch which regular mayonnaise does not contain. The cornstarch acts as a thickener given the reduced amount of egg and increased water. So the use of light mayonnaise will make for a drier cake.

Ingredients in regular Best Foods/Hellman’s brand mayonnaise: Soybean Oil, Water, Whole Eggs and Egg Yolks, Vinegar, Salt, Sugar, Lemon Juice, Calcium Disodium EDTA (Used To Protect Quality), Natural Flavors.

Ingredients in Lite Best Foods/Hellman’s brand mayonnaise: Water, Soybean Oil, Modified Starch (Corn, Potato)**, Eggs, Sugar, Salt, Vinegar, Lemon Juice, Sorbic Acid** and Calcium Disodium EDTA (Used to Protect Quality), Natural Flavor, Vitamin E.

**Ingredients Not Found in Regular Mayonnaise.

Reaction score
No, The cake is actually more moist than with oil or eggs. Mayonnaise IS eggs and oil, a pinch of salt that’s undetectable and ( a tad of lemon juice and mustard seed or powder. ) The last 2 ingredients listed are so minuscule you would not ever taste them in the final product. No, again, on the lite mayo. In an absolute panic attack that you needed a cake, I guess so, but it will not be nearly as moist as mayonnaise. Most lite mayo is 25-35% less fat meaning more additives, modified cornstarch, sugar, water to mention a few. The reason mayonnaise Works is it’s
Whole eggs and fat loving oil. Just one of the deadly sins ...Also, use same amount of mayo as you would oil. Then per egg use 2-3 tbsp. I will usually leave one egg in of 3 , 2 in of 6 ....it may not make a big difference but I do it, it makes me feel like I’m baking :)

Reaction score
mayonnaise cake originated during the Great Depression .....eggs & oils where very precious as was sugars. I remember my G. mother telling me Eggs where almost non existent due to all the chickens being eaten. Only Mayo was the answer to an elaborate occasion :) Cheers!

Reaction score
I've been adding a tablespoon of mayonnaise to my cakes and brownies since high school home ec. So that was a minute, er (hang on, I have to do math, pulling up calculator app, BRB) 40 (holy schnikes!) years. It makes for a little more moist cakes and slightly chewy brownies. Not for everyone, perhaps, but it's always been a hit for me.

At this moment, I was looking this up to see if I can substitute mayonnaise for eggs and oil in a GF pizza crust I'm making. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm optimistic because last time the dough was too wet and I read an article that suggested too much egg.

Reaction score
I've been adding a tablespoon of mayonnaise to my cakes and brownies since high school home ec. So that was a minute, er (hang on, I have to do math, pulling up calculator app, BRB) 40 (holy schnikes!) years. It makes for a little more moist cakes and slightly chewy brownies. Not for everyone, perhaps, but it's always been a hit for me.

At this moment, I was looking this up to see if I can substitute mayonnaise for eggs and oil in a GF pizza crust I'm making. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm optimistic because last time the dough was too wet and I read an article that suggested too much egg.

So how did the crust come out?

Reaction score
So how did the crust come out?

LOL! it was fluffy and soft. A little too soft for pizza. When I served it, I told my husband to think of it more like pizza pudding. I think also I should have let it bake longer before adding the toppings. I make pizza in a cast iron skillet, so it's a little bit deeper with sauce and toppings. I've been working with this crust for a while and haven't hit on the perfect blend of ingredients yet for the consistency I'd like. Sometimes it's crispy and falls apart, other times it's too soft or wet. GF baking is a good challenge. LOL! Maybe next time I'll use only baking powder and not also baking soda and vinegar. It may have too much leavening. I'll try the mayo instead of eggs and oil though I'll keep one tablespoon of water to activate the baking powder. I made notes in my recipe and will keep trying! At least it tastes good.

Ask a Question