Substitute mayo for eggs and oil in Cake Mix or Recipe

Discussion in 'Cakes' started by Zyni, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Zyni

Zyni Well-Known Member

Have any of you tried this? I was out of eggs once and learned about this, and it makes the moistest cakes ever. Leave out the eggs and replace the amount of oil called for with mayonnaise. Be sure to let your cake cool thoroughly or it will fall apart.

*I actually use a touch less mayo than what is called for.

Zyni, Oct 13, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Zyni

Trellum Well-Known Member

Ehh, it sounds like an awesome and handy tip, but not sure I'd ever dare to use mayo to prepare a cake! It sounds kinda... well, odd to me! I guess I'd need to know the specifics before embarking on that culinary adventure, lol.

Trellum, Oct 15, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Zyni

Zyni Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. I felt the same way. Then, I needed a cake and had no eggs, so I tried it. Mayo is made from eggs and oil. You're simply replacing separate portions of eggs and oil, with the same two ingredients, but already combined together. If the recipe calls for 2 eggs and 1/3 cup of oil, leave out the eggs and oil and just add 1/3 cup of mayo. Moistest cake ever.

Zyni, Oct 15, 2014
    LadyMiles likes this.
  4. Zyni

JessiFox Well-Known Member

Hmmm...well my knee-jerk reaction was a big "no way!" too but when you put it that way, lol. It sounds like it could work in a pinch, at the very least. Thanks for the tip :).

JessiFox, Oct 16, 2014
  5. Zyni

Zyni Well-Known Member

For sure. I thought it sounded... ewww when I first heard of it. I was thinking no way as well. It took me a long time to try it, and then only in a pinch. I'm glad I did though. It does something completely different (and good) to the texture of the cake.

Zyni, Oct 16, 2014
  6. Zyni

Tara Well-Known Member

Substituting mayo for eggs and oil really makes sense. Mayo is mostly eggs and oil so I really can see how that would work. I would never do it because I have a strange aversion to mayo. I'm also not surprised that the cake turned out to be very moist. I saw someone make homemade mayo on the Food Network. I was surprised at how simple it was.

Tara, Oct 21, 2014
  7. Zyni

Zyni Well-Known Member

It really does completely change the texture of the cake. That was very unexpected. I figured I wouldn't see much difference, considering it's basically the same ingredients.

Zyni, Oct 21, 2014
  8. Zyni

LadyMiles New Member

I wish I would have seen this last night as I made cupcakes. I am definitely doing this the next cake I make. I am a serious junk food junky that doesn't like cake unless it is super moist. I have learned that adding a bit more oil to the cake batter seemed to make the cake more moist than if I had simply followed the directions on the box. I also hated that it was extra oil that I was adding. This sounds as though it would be Mich better and from the way you keep emphasizing that the cake was the moistest cake ever, I am so eager to try. I will be back once I do to thank you :)

LadyMiles, Oct 26, 2014
  9. Zyni

Samantha Gardner New Member

Absolutely! My mother made a chocolate mayonnaise cake every week when I was growing up. I hated mayonnaise but I never knew it was in the cake!! I found out when I was older lol. The cake does not taste like mayonnaise so dont worry folks!!!

Samantha Gardner, Aug 15, 2017
  10. Zyni

RedShoe Well-Known Member

I hadn't made one in years, but i did this past week because of this thread! Used a Devil's Food mix and subbed the 1/2 cup of oil and 3 eggs with 1/2 cup Best Foods. CRAZY moist! It basically turned back to pudding once i put it in my mouth. My mom said it was almost gummy, my friend said it stuck to the roof of his mouth... But i did do some analysis and it is lower in fat and cholesterol than using eggs and oil, and depending on the market, a little less expensive! I'll use a little less next trial, and go with a yellow to see if the tang of the vinegar comes through (the bitter of the chocolate hid it well).

RedShoe, Aug 30, 2017
  11. Zyni

PrincessTrixie New Member

I am not a fan of chocolate cake. However when my mother found the recipe for chocolate mayonnaise cake on the label of a Best Food's (Hellman's) mayo jar and decided to try baking one, I couldn't get enough of it. It is the best tasting and moisttest chocolate cake I have ever eaten. I am wondering though how it would work (taste) in a cake mix other than chocolate. I am preparing to bake a Lemon Supreme cake with lemon buttercream frosting and I think that I will give it a go.The mayonnaise works so well in chocolate cake mixes because the tiny bit of vinegar in the mayo brings out and intensifies the flavor of the chocolate. I am pretty sure that it won't ruin the Lemon Supreme mix but as to whether or not it will help it I can't be sure until I try. At the very least I believe that the cake will be much more moist and hopefully it will glisten like the chocolate cakes do.I will try to post an update on my success (or failure) once I finish my experiment. My prediction? DELISH!

PrincessTrixie, Jun 19, 2019
    Norcalbaker59 likes this.
  12. Zyni

Thut1997 Member

I was told about mayo in cakes years ago at first i found it weird but after i tried it a couple times it made sense as it made the cake unbelievably moist everytime.

Thut1997, Jun 26, 2019
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question