substitute for sugar

Reaction score
I want to bake something for my father, but he is diabetic. I'm wondering what can I use as a substitute for a regular sugar without compromising the taste of the cake?

Hope you can give me tips or ideas. Thanks.

Reaction score
It depends on the type of cake you are making. sweetener, such as Splenda, is what I usually use (my dad's diabetic, too). You can also use honey or maple syrup, if his diabetes isn't too sever. If the recipe calls for brown sugar, you can get a blend of real and substitute sugar, use half the amount the recipe stipulates. Natural products such as agave are available in specialty stores and lots of people use that for sweeter.

Reaction score
Thank you, I will try splenda. I'm planning to do a carrot cake for him. I think it's good since I don't need to put an icing. That means less sugar. I'm so strict with his diet, and I know it frustrates him seeing a cake but he can't eat it, that's why I will make one for him. I'm not sure if he likes carrots though.:)

Reaction score
Stevia is another good sugar alternative, although I've never tried it myself. Be careful with carrot cake - there is a lot of fat in it which is also bad for diabetics!

Reaction score
Yes, I second Becky on the use of Stevia in baking as a sugar alternative. Actually, I think it's better to use this rather than the artificial sweeteners like Splenda and Nutrasweet because of the presence of chemicals like aspartame, which is very bad for you.

Reaction score
I have a friend who uses agave nectar. I have no idea how that works, since it's a form of sugar surely, but there you go.

Reaction score
Stevia is another good sugar alternative, although I've never tried it myself. Be careful with carrot cake - there is a lot of fat in it which is also bad for diabetics!

I did not know that carrot do have lots of fats. I'm thinking it's a vegetable, that makes it healthy. I personally love carrot cake.

Hi Zlemune, I never heard about agave nectar, I tried to research about it. It says it is 1.4 to 1.6 sweeter than sugar but the glycemic index is lower than the table sugar. That is something. Thanks.

Reaction score
I think that either the honey or the agave nectar will work. Since they are sweeter than sugar, you will use less of either one of those.
Another thing that I have used to sweeten naturally is dates. They work great in things like banana bread, zucchini bread, and muffins. You can put them through the food processor, but I usually just chop them into small chunks and add them into the recipe. Raisins also will help to add sweetness naturally.
I have not tried it, but I have seen recipes that use applesauce for a sweetener as well.

Reaction score
Agave is actually worse than high fructose corn syrup from my research into sugars. Sugar is sugar is sugar.. even the natural. Just please stay away from splenda et al. I have no idea what to suggest since I don't know Diabetes well and wouldn't want to give any misinformation, but that's my take on it.

Reaction score
You may like to read this to learn more about sugar substitutes:

The ABC's of Sugar Substitutes

A sugar substitute is a food additive that tastes like sugar, but has either few or no calories. Sugar substitutes can be very useful to people with diabetes. Gillian Arathuzik, R.D., C.D.E., Nutrition Diabetes Educator, at Joslin Diabetes Center, goes over the basics of sugar substitutes and how they can impact your blood glucose levels when you have diabetes.

Artificial Sweeteners
Synthetic sugar substitutes are referred to as artificial sweeteners and have more intense sweetness than sugar. Artificial sweeteners have been controversial as to whether or not they pose any health risks, but so far no studies have conclusively found any and each sweetener is FDA approved. Some commonly used artificial sweeteners include:

• Aspartame (Equal): 200 times as sweet as sugar. No effect on blood glucose levels.

• Sucralose (Splenda): 600 times as sweet as sugar. Contains about 1 g carb per packet or teaspoon and could affect blood glucose levels if you consume a large quantity at one time.

• Saccharin (Sweet ‘N Low): 300-500 times as sweet as sugar. No effect on blood glucose levels.
  • Acesulfame potassium (Sunett or Sweet One): 300 times as sweet as sugar. No effect on blood glucose levels.
Artificial sweeteners each have an acceptable daily intake (ADI). This can help a person determine how much of each sweetener to consume. “I recommend either Aspartame or Sucralose depending on a person’s taste preference and recommend using either in moderation,” Arathuzik says.

Sugar Alcohols
Natural sugar substitutes are known as sugar alcohols. Sugar alcohols are typically less sweet than sugar and provide half the calories of sugar. They are used in many sugar-free products and energy bars. Since half the carbohydrate of sugar alcohols is not absorbed by the body, you can subtract half the sugar alcohol grams from the total carb grams when doing carb counting with diabetes.
Source: Joslin Diabetes Center in affiliation with Harvard Medical School

Reaction score
As a diabetic, I continue to have a sweet tooth. Although, not all substitutes may be good for my health, they provide a better alternative to high blood sugar. To bake, I have found that Spenda baking product works well with any recipe. The bag includes the portion substitution quantity of sugar versus Splenda.

Trevia, Stuvia, Nectaresse and others are very expensive, and most are not available as a baking product.
These three are great substitutes for smaller quantities, until the manufactures provide with a bulk version like Splenda has.
I am not selling any of this products, I am just speaking from experience as a diabetic for over a decade, who cannot give up sweets.

Reaction score
I don't necessarily believe in using fake sugar substitutes. You have organic natural sweeteners out there. Though, you can just simple buy organic sugar and regulate how much you use.

Reaction score
I don't necessarily believe in using fake sugar substitutes. You have organic natural sweeteners out there. Though, you can just simple buy organic sugar and regulate how much you use.

Unfortunately, any type of sugar, organic or not, adversely affects my sugar levels. I come from a family of 100% diabetics. My mom and all her 7 siblings, and my father and all his 7 siblings. Out of 4 brothers and sisters three of us are diabetic. I have dozens of cousins with the condition, and several nieces and nephews.

Our sensitivity is to any type of sweets. I eat fruit for a healthy diet, and eat baked goods on special occasions only. On days I do, I have to adjust my Humalog (fast acting insulin).

There are many natural resources, and I have tried them all, but the result is always the same. I have had my sugar jump to over 600, after trying a "good" or "better" natural or organic alternative.

In my case, whether I like it or not, is either a sugar substitute, or a sweet-less dessert.

Reaction score
How does that work then, because fruit is natural sugar. You've peaked my interest and it's going to bug me now until I figure it out lol. I have diabetes in my family, so I should know these things anyway.

Reaction score
Whenever I see baking recipes for diabetics, they usually have Splenda as the sugar substitute.

The only issue is that Splenda can work havoc on the consumer's digestive system. So, your father might end up with a tummy ache resulting in several trips to the bathroom.

Also, according to the American Diabetes Association, sweets aren't completely off limits to diabetics. So, your father might be able to eat a regular piece of cake as long as he incorporates it into his meals for the day. (See ADA Recommendations)

Reaction score
How does that work then, because fruit is natural sugar. You've peaked my interest and it's going to bug me now until I figure it out lol. I have diabetes in my family, so I should know these things anyway.

Yes You are correct. Fruit is a natural sugar, and has to be eaten in moderation. However, it is a source of vitamins, and it has great fiber content. When all are together, the effects are not as drastic,as say, Honey, sugar, or the like.

Sweets are not off a diabetic diet at all. However, adjustments to Insulin are needed depending on the amount of carbohydrates and sugar. I am not an expert at any of it. What I do, is measure my sugar, before a meal, and two hours later. This is the only way that I can tell if I ate correctly or not.

I follow portions, and have to take into account the amount of carbohydrates, protein, fat, and total caloric content.

My doctor, and nutritionist have been the best advisors I could have.

Reaction score
I know that you can use applesauce as a replacement for sugar in a lot of things. Im not sure how this effects blood sugar however. Applesauce makes the cakes moist and nice too.

Ask a Question