Too much chocolate?

Reaction score
Okay, if you had asked me a few years ago, I would have said there was no such thing as too much chocolate. My tastes have changed, and that's probably a good thing.

My husband showed me this... "thing" the other day, and the only way I can describe it is as a dessert. It's not really a cake or a cookie or a brownie; it's basically all of the above.

It showed someone mixing chocolate chip cookie batter, topping that with Oreo cookies, and then pouring a chocolate cake or brownie layer over the top. They did time elapsed baking and then cut it into bars. Icing optional?!?!?!

Now, the young me probably would have at least attempted tasting this, but as much as I love chocolate, the only thing I thought of when I saw this was, "Too much!"

What say you?

Reaction score
Dark chocolate used to be my absolute favourite, but for some reason I really went off it last year! Since then I've been diagnosed with migraines, and I've been told to avoid both caffeine and chocolate :( Probably a good job my tastes changed recently then!!

I know what you mean though, tastes can change over time. I'm sure I read somewhere that young children don't have a limit on how much sugar they can tolerate (in terms of taste), but this declines over time. We're just getting old ;)

Reaction score
Then the age thing might be what makes me run far from too much of the 'goodness' on the cakes. I love just a chocolate cake and that is enough for me. You should see me trying to artfully leave all the fillings and toppings while I extract only the cake. Just looking at things like these scream health problems. Too much is my response.
b2852e84ffc51cd0e4eda16332d024a7.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I totally agree with you that certain things I could have totally handled as a kid, but these days I couldn't. Too much sweets/sugar just really doesn't sound appealing to me (and I love sweet things - just in moderation!)

I think my tastes these days as an adult lean more towards savory things, with the sweet being the treat at the end. When I was a kid I'm pretty sure I could have eaten chocolate for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks if my parents would have allowed it!

Reaction score
There is NO such thing as "too much chocolate".

But there IS a thing as too much SUGAR! That sounds like it's pretty much all sugar, which would kill me.

Another reason I love dark chocolate. I can eat more of it, because there is only enough sugar in it to take the bitterness out.

That "dessert" you described sounds more like a lot of chocolate flavored sugar than anything else.

Reaction score
When I was still younger I always crave for eating chocolates but as I grow older my taste for chocolates had changed as well my eating lifestyle for a healthy way of life. And I realized that eating too much of everything is not good and that we should always eat in moderation.

Reaction score
When I was still younger I always crave for eating chocolates but as I grow older my taste for chocolates had changed as well my eating lifestyle for a healthy way of life. And I realized that eating too much of everything is not good and that we should always eat in moderation.

Well, I have diabetes now. I'm not supposed to have sugar, but my Dr says I can eat dark chocolate. The darker, the better. Well, the darkest I like it is 50/50. I tried a 65% cocoa bar before and it was just too bitter. If you get pure chocolate that doesn't have all that crap in it that companies like Hershey and Nestle dump into their chocolates, then you get a better chocolate with hardly any additives or sugar in it.

For me though...as I get older, my taste for meat has waned. I usually prefer eggplant, mushrooms, or tofu in place of meat.

Reaction score
Well, I have diabetes now. I'm not supposed to have sugar, but my Dr says I can eat dark chocolate. The darker, the better. Well, the darkest I like it is 50/50. I tried a 65% cocoa bar before and it was just too bitter. If you get pure chocolate that doesn't have all that crap in it that companies like Hershey and Nestle dump into their chocolates, then you get a better chocolate with hardly any additives or sugar in it.

For me though...as I get older, my taste for meat has waned. I usually prefer eggplant, mushrooms, or tofu in place of meat.

Eating eggplant, mushrooms and tofu as a replacement for meat and as your source of protein is indeed a healthy thing. Me also as I grow older the more I am aware of my health that is why I always eat healthy foods in moderation only.

Reaction score
That recipe sounds gross, OP! Ugh, plus oreos are not really chocolate, it's just pure sugar, so gross! I never touch that kind of recipes, because adding oreos to anything else is jut too much in my opinion. When I was younger I could stand too much sweetness, but now I am older I really can't.

Reaction score
Dark chocolate used to be my absolute favourite, but for some reason I really went off it last year! Since then I've been diagnosed with migraines, and I've been told to avoid both caffeine and chocolate :( Probably a good job my tastes changed recently then!!

I know what you mean though, tastes can change over time. I'm sure I read somewhere that young children don't have a limit on how much sugar they can tolerate (in terms of taste), but this declines over time. We're just getting old ;)

could it be dark chocolate with drawl symptoms Becky ? you did tell the Doctor about you addiction and then gave it up ? the next time you have a migraine try a slice of dark chocolate cake and see if that helps any :)

oooh and try sniffing a piece of apple.my friends daughter had those and we read it in a home remedy book.she thought they may have been helping but ate the apple and got sick one time,so who knows ? lol but give it a try and let us know what happens

on either remedy :)

Reaction score
could it be dark chocolate with drawl symptoms Becky ? you did tell the Doctor about you addiction and then gave it up ? the next time you have a migraine try a slice of dark chocolate cake and see if that helps any :)

oooh and try sniffing a piece of apple.my friends daughter had those and we read it in a home remedy book.she thought they may have been helping but ate the apple and got sick one time,so who knows ? lol but give it a try and let us know what happens

on either remedy :)

I don't think it's withdrawal - I went off dark chocolate before I was told to stop eating it, so in a way that was lucky! Apparently things like caffeine and chocolate can trigger migraines, which is why I was told to avoid them. Time will tell I guess!

I've not heard of the apple sniffing thing before! Is that meant to stop a migraine?

Reaction score
it is suppose to help one, it was in a home remedy book,so it should be worth a try :)

oh since this is a baking forum,try sniffing an apple pie instead :)

Reaction score
I don't think it's withdrawal - I went off dark chocolate before I was told to stop eating it, so in a way that was lucky! Apparently things like caffeine and chocolate can trigger migraines, which is why I was told to avoid them. Time will tell I guess!

I've not heard of the apple sniffing thing before! Is that meant to stop a migraine?

You get migraines? I got them when I was younger, and my mother suffered from them.

I've heard of sniffing fruit before as an old wives tale remedy. I think it has something to do with making your blood passages open up to let more blood through and more oxygen into the blood. You know...you sniff something that makes you drool, and it gets your blood pumping. Something akin to that.

Most headaches and migraines start from lack of enough oxygen flowing around in the bloodstream. Things that make you "take a big whiff", like fresh fruit, baked bread, brewing coffee, or whatever makes you inhale a large amount of air is supposed to help.

Next time you feel a migraine coming on, sit in quiet, slightly darkened room. Sit up straight, place your hands on your knees, close your eyes, and slowly breathe in as much as you can. Hold it for two seconds, and then slowly let it out. Do that a few times to get as much oxygen into your bloodstream as possible. See if that helps. Don't overdo it though...you don't want to make yourself dizzy...that will definitely kick off a headache.

I've also heard eating a small fresh clove of garlic every other day will help keep your hemoglobin pumping oxygen into your blood. I used to do that, and it worked for me. If you don't like garlic too much, clean a small clove of garlic, place in the fridge for a while, then take it like a pill before you eat dinner or a snack.

Other than that, you could just do what I did a few times........dip my head in a bucket of ice water!!!! LOL

Reaction score
@ChesterV I was recently diagnosed with chronic migraines, although I don't get the typical crippling headache. I have been suffering from episodes of fatigue, dizziness and headaches for a few years, and it was really difficult to find a diagnosis. It got worse and worse, but then got better when I was on some strong medication before a spinal operation last year. We went to see a neurologist to ask about the effect of the medication, and that was when I was diagnosed with chronic migraines. Turns out that the medication I was on for my back is something they would prescribe to help them!

So unfortunately I don't feel a migraine coming on, it's more the after effects and associated problems that cause me problems. Weird eh?!

You're right about the circulation thing though! The brain is certainly a complex organ.

Reaction score
@ChesterV I was recently diagnosed with chronic migraines, although I don't get the typical crippling headache. I have been suffering from episodes of fatigue, dizziness and headaches for a few years, and it was really difficult to find a diagnosis. It got worse and worse, but then got better when I was on some strong medication before a spinal operation last year. We went to see a neurologist to ask about the effect of the medication, and that was when I was diagnosed with chronic migraines. Turns out that the medication I was on for my back is something they would prescribe to help them!

So unfortunately I don't feel a migraine coming on, it's more the after effects and associated problems that cause me problems. Weird eh?!

You're right about the circulation thing though! The brain is certainly a complex organ.

Damn!

Is it a nerve related problem, or because of your spine issues? I know if there are too many nerves being pinched in the spine, you can get some really nasty migraines and headaches.

Reaction score
Damn!

Is it a nerve related problem, or because of your spine issues? I know if there are too many nerves being pinched in the spine, you can get some really nasty migraines and headaches.

Don't know, it's early days yet - I'm just trying out the first medicine :)

Ask a Question