Upside Down Citrus and Almond Cake

Reaction score
I am a big fan of upside down fruit cakes, because if they flop, you just serve them with custard for dessert and nobody will even suspect a thing.

This cake is delicious, and the nice thing about it is that it displays very well if you are having people over that you want to impress because of the alternating colors of the orange and grapefruit.

Syrup
1 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of water
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
1 grapefruit and 2 big oranges, quartered with their peels on

Cake
4 eggs
1 cup of sugar
1 tspn vanilla essence
1 cup of self-raising flour
2/3 cup unsalted butter
1 cup finely chopped almonds

Serve with Mascarpone Cheese or Greek Yogurt

Preheat the oven to 180 C . And grease one long oven dish, or two smallish square ones.

1. First make the syrup by boiling the sugar, water, and vanilla essence until it reaches a syrupy consistency.
2. Place the grapefruit and orange wedges in the syrup and let it simmer on the stove for another 10-15 minutes. Remove from the stove and keep it aside.
3. Onto the cake. Beat the eggs, sugar, and vanilla essence for about 10 minute until it is light and foamy.
4. Sieve the self-raising flour into the egg mixture and fold it in.
5. Next fold in the butter and the almods.
6. Place the citrus wedges in the pan(s) and dish the cake mixture on top of it.
7. Bake for 45 minutes or until a testing prong comes out clean.
8.AS SOON AS the cake comes out of the oven, pour over the remaining syrup
9. Serve it with Mascarpone cheese or greek yoghurt

Reaction score
Interesting idea! Do the citrus wedges stay intact while baking, or do they burst and the juice runs out? I don't think I've ever baked orange wedges, so I don't really know how they react.

Reaction score
A bit of juice runs out, but they go all gooey and syrupy when you bake it. I like to experiment with fruit and cake I must admit. When I made my first pineapple upside down cake and after making a peach and caramel one I was hooked!

Reaction score
It is a recipe we use over Christmas and my mom has it. Luckily I am going there this weekend. Will get the recipe for you then. I know that the traditional recipe calls for unsalted butter, and brown sugar for the caramel, but I know my mom made adjustments where we also use caramel from the tin.

Did you know that if you boil condensed milk it becomes caramel?

Reaction score
Thank you, I'd appreciate that! It is peach season here and I have several just waiting to be eaten or baked into something.

You know, I've heard that and tried it myself, but did not have success with it.

Reaction score
I am a big fan of upside down fruit cakes, because if they flop, you just serve them with custard for dessert and nobody will even suspect a thing.

This cake is delicious, and the nice thing about it is that it displays very well if you are having people over that you want to impress because of the alternating colors of the orange and grapefruit.

Syrup
1 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of water

Cake
4 eggs
1 cup of sugar
1 tspn vanilla essence
2/3 cup unsalted butter

Preheat the oven to 180 C . And grease one long oven dish, or two smallish square ones.

1. First make the syrup by boiling the sugar, water, and vanilla essence until it reaches a syrupy consistency.
2. Place the grapefruit and orange wedges in the syrup and let it simmer on the stove for another 10-15 minutes. Remove from the stove and keep it aside.
3. Onto the cake. Beat the eggs, sugar, and vanilla essence for about 10 minute until it is light and foamy.
6. Place the citrus wedges in the pan(s) and dish the cake mixture on top of it.
This sounds so yummy! I'm by myself now, so I'm afraid of what would happen if I baked it. Of course I could always make it, halve it and call a friend over to pick up the other half and take home. That's a plan! Sounds soooo good!

Reaction score

Syrup
1 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of water

Cake
4 eggs
1 cup of sugar
1 tspn vanilla essence
2/3 cup unsalted butter

This sounds lovely! I know what you mean about the fruit going nice and syrupy. Although I've never made an upside down cake, I am a fan of tarte tatin, which has puff pastry and fruit - it's always well received, and the apples go wonderfully caramel like ad syrupy. Yum!

Maybe I'll try an up side down cake - thanks for sharing your recipe. :)

Reaction score
I am definitly going to have to try this. I love pinapple upside down cake and I also do peach upside down cake and strawberry upside down cake. I love citrus anything, so I am looking forward to trying this.

Ask a Question