Variation to a recipe

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the forum and new to baking.i have been following recipes for bread and rolls which have been ok but the recipes tend to to be too big as I only bake for 2. Therefore my question is if I have a recipe for say 8 rolls but I only want 4 do I simply halve all the ingredients or is it more complicated than that :) thanks in advance for any replies.

Reaction score
As long as you exactly halve the ingredients, you should be fine. The baking time might vary since you're working with less dough arranged in a smaller pan.

Reaction score
As Slojo suggests - just get on with it!
If you keep an accurate record of weights and method each time you make the formula then after 15-20 tries you'll start to deviate from the base recipe - some won't work so well, and others will be better.
Provided you stick to the same brands don't add far too much (or too little) yeast and/or water then you'll start to see a pattern emerge that tells you a lot about how the dough is responding. I up to almost 185 goes at making baguettes and I'm still refining the way I make them even though the ingredients formula is the same. For a full-time baker this is only 6-months of experience, so hang on in there!
Just don't get disheartened - even a not so perfect loaf or roll is often far better than supermarket (almost always) or artisan bread (depends)

Ask a Question