Repurposing Failed Blueberry Pancakes

Reaction score
Hi, I just tried a new blueberry pancake recipe which totally failed... They came out far too dense and just generally don't taste right. I was wondering if there are anyways that I can use them in another recipe?

Reaction score
I'm sure someone will come along with some human use for them, but what I usually do in that situation is, I'll get online and verify that they're animal safe, and put them out for the birds or stray cats. I love giving them special treats that they don't normally get, and they seem to enjoy it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah definitely sounds better then throwing them in the bin! Thanks for the help :)

Reaction score
Yeah definitely sounds better then throwing them in the bin! Thanks for the help :)

You're welcome. If you hold off a bit, someone will probably post another use for them, but I enjoy giving the birds, especially, fruits, nuts, and seeds, so anything I have like that, and also leftover bread/cake, I will give to them. I tend to give the stray cats more meat, fish, and vegetable leftovers.

Reaction score
Sometimes if we are trying a new recipe it will not always be that perfect and there will always be a failure on the first trial of cooking or baking. And I always encountered that. And yes it is true that instead of throwing it away just give it to the animals you had at home so that it will not be wasted.

Reaction score
Hmmm, you could probably make a bread pudding with them. The addition of milk and eggs should soften them up a bit. That is what I would try before making the decision to throw them out.

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome @Becky yeah bread pudding does sound good! I think I'll give that a go. Thanks for all the helpful advice, much appreciated :)))

Reaction score
Hmmm, you could probably make a bread pudding with them. The addition of milk and eggs should soften them up a bit. That is what I would try before making the decision to throw them out.

Oh yum, see @rothee, I told you someone would come along with some great suggestions. I never would have thought to use them for bread pudding, but that's a wonderful idea, and it sounds really tasty. That's what I love about forums like this one. Sometimes all we need is a suggestion, and it points us in a whole new direction :D

Reaction score
I don't know the texture, but once I made a blueberry cobbler that didn't come out quite right - it was a little too "buttery" I guess you could say. Anyway, we made them into blueberry cobbler ice cream parfaits for our guests and it was a massive hit! Phew...crisis averted!

Reaction score
I'm sure someone will come along with some human use for them, but what I usually do in that situation is, I'll get online and verify that they're animal safe, and put them out for the birds or stray cats. I love giving them special treats that they don't normally get, and they seem to enjoy it.

That's sweet! I bet the animals would love them. I'm glad you mentioned that you check to confirm they are animal safe too! There would be nothing worse than thinking you were doing something kind for an animal only to make them sick!

We've given our dog bits of blueberry pancake before and he's seemed to enjoy it with no ill effects.

Reaction score
Failed pancakes:

Chop them up, put them on a cookie sheet and dry them out in a low oven.
(usually 200 degrees for about 10-15 minutes)

The crumbs can be used for crumb toppings on desserts and ice cream.
They are also good if you like to make your own shakes with stuff in them.

If you slice the pancakes into strips one inch wide and dry those out in the oven,
you will have a type of biscotti that is good with coffee, desserts, and ice cream.

You can use dense pancakes for dessert rolls.
Make a cream cheese or fruit filling, spread some on the pancake, roll it up and
stick a toothpick in it so it doesn't come undone.

You can also use failed pancakes as "taco shells" for desserts and breakfast.
Put a bit of ice cream in it, fold it over, and you have an ice cream sandwich.
Put a bit of scrambled egg and bacon in it and fold it over, and you have a
breakfast taco (of sorts).

If it's just blueberries and batter (no sugar in it), you can use them for dog frizbee treats.
Throw them like a frizbee and your dog will chase it, AND get a treat a the same time!
Just make sure your dog isn't allergic to anything like flour, eggs, milk, blueberries, etc...

You can also cut up the pancakes (if they have no sugar in them), dry them out and finely
crumble them....mix it with a little bird seed and put it into an open bird feeder outside.
Careful this stuff doesn't get wet outside, it will turn hard and the birds cant eat it then.

Also, if you like to go feed the ducks or birds in the park or at the lake, you can toss large pieces
to them to eat.

Ask a Question