What are the correct ways to melt chocolate?

Reaction score
What are the correct ways to melt chocolate? I was baking chocolate cheesecake and I was trying to melt chocolate in a frying pan over a small fire but it was a complete disaster. The chocolate did not really melt but lump together with a rubbery feel.

Reaction score
You shouldn't melt chocolate over direct heat. You should either use a double boiler, or melt the chocolate in a small pot that you have placed inside a larger pot of boiling water.

Reaction score
You can also melt it in the microwave using short bursts - when two thirds has melted take it out and give it a good stir until the rest melts from the residual temperature.

Reaction score
I put a pyrex bowl over a pot of boiling water and I do not leave it for even a second. I stir it constantly until it is all melted.

Reaction score
I often use the microwave, but I've found the results aren't as good as when you do it in a pan, as it can go lumpy or burn if you leave it in for too long. The best way it to put a Pyrex bowl over a pan of boiling water, then add the chocolate and a small knob of butter. Stir it quite a lot once it's started to melt and keep it on a low heat.

Reaction score
I have used both microwave and double boiler. I think microwave is quicker but I think you really have to watch it so you don't overdo and end up with a mess! :)

Double boiler is slower but probably the least likely to burn the chocolate! It probably depends how much time you have. I guess with either one you really want to watch it and not forget about it!! I've done that before and ended up with hard, unusable chocolate!!! Then you have to start all over again!

I actually bought a pan that is made just for boiling over a pot. The nice thing is that it fits any size pan! So, no more trying to find a bowl or something that fits a certain pot!! It is non stick too so clean up is super easy! I think I got mine at Macy's about a year ago.

Reaction score
I, sadly, also had a bad experience with melting chocolate. I used the Microwave, which I will never do again. White Chocolate isn't supposed to look like Dark Chocolate xD

Thankfully, it was for Cake Pops that still tasted great without chocolate coating.

Reaction score
I always melt chocolate in a bowl over a simmering pot of hot water. Be careful that you don't get any water - not even a drop - in the bowl of chocolate, though. It can cause the chocolate to seize which results in a big, clumpy mess. Trust me, I speak from experience!

Reaction score
I always just create a makeshift double boiler with a sauce pan of simmering water and a metal bowl over it. It's pretty much goof proof and melts very easily. If you add some heavy cream to it as well, and perhaps some drops of flavored extract of your choice, then put the bowl in the fridge to set you will have a fantastic chocolate ganache filling that you can use as a starting point for truffles. You can also use it to frost a cake.

Reaction score
Yeah, bowl over water and lots of stirring. I've burnt far too much chocolate every other way.

Reaction score
I grew tired of ruining good chocolate and invested in a chocolate melter. This has saved me so much time and money because I no longer have to baby sit my chocolate no do I have to worry about scorching it. It works equally well with and dark chocolate.

Reaction score
You can also melt it in the microwave using short bursts - when two thirds has melted take it out and give it a good stir until the rest melts from the residual temperature.
I have tried this methods and practically is the only that really has worked in my case.

I have always trouble trying to melt chocolate over the stove :|

Reaction score
This is usually what I end up doing out of convenience. You just really have to keep an eye on it and make sure not to leave it in there for too long because it will definitely burn and come out gross.

Reaction score
I will occasionally use the microwave, for convenience. But, really, nothing beats a double boiler, it is the best way to melt chocolate, and keep it melted--especially handy if you're using it for dipping.

Reaction score
I heard on another website to put a tablespoon of Lard in with your chocolate...yes Lard and then microwave it in short bursts. I will tell you, it melted beautifully, much to my amazement. I also use a double boiler to melt chocolate which works very well too.

Reaction score
The way I was always taught was a bowl of over bowling water. The whole microwaving thing will only kill the chocolate. Just get back to the old fashion way as it is the best way!

Reaction score
I'm the most impatient person ever.. especially when it comes to chocolate lol. I know you should use double boiler method or pyrex/boiling water method, but I've just always used a small pot on lowest heat and it's never botched on me. You just have to be careful..

Ask a Question