What do you do while baking?

Discussion in 'Baker Banter' started by Annabell, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Annabell

Annabell Well-Known Member

So, maybe I'm a little weird but I like to have something on while I'm baking or cooking, so I'm not focusing solely on the baking/cooking. So I'll watch a movie or a TV show whle I work on a pop down screen if I'm alone in the kitchen, or we'll listen to music if we're all cooking a big thing together, which happens pretty much every day.

What about you guys? Do you focus solely upon the task, or do you distract yourself a bit?

Annabell, Jun 24, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Annabell

monkeyboots Well-Known Member

I listen to podcasts--always.

monkeyboots, Jun 24, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Annabell

BluePeach Member

I will do the same. I love watching a movie, t.v. or listen to music while I bake. Makes the process quicker for me and sometimes it makes it the process fun.

BluePeach, Jun 24, 2014
  4. Annabell

andrew172 Well-Known Member

I usually put some music on, or throw a tv show on my laptop and set it up next to stove so I can keep a good view while doing everything- helps to be able to answer an e-mail or two in the middle of things as well.

andrew172, Jun 25, 2014
  5. Annabell

randee555 Well-Known Member

I like listening to some music, watching something on TV, or playing with my kids. Doing something to occupy my mind always makes the time really fly. Before you know it, your food is done.

randee555, Jun 25, 2014
  6. Annabell

pot_star Member

I listen to music most of the time. The classic ones as always. Specifically Def Leppard, Mr. BIG and Bryan Adams. I just like acting out while stirring up the batter.It makes the cooking/baking more enjoyable.

pot_star, Jun 25, 2014
  7. Annabell

Any recommended podcasts for baking?

Annabell, Jun 25, 2014
  8. Annabell

mdavidson7616 Member

I usually have Pandora streaming music while I bake or doing any cooking really. TV is too distracting. I keep running in the living room to see what they are talking about. Music seems to make the time pass by faster while I'm baking.

mdavidson7616, Jun 25, 2014
  9. Annabell

dustysmommy2013 Well-Known Member

I usually listen to music or have something on the TV as a background noise. Usually though, I bake while my son is taking a nap so I take that hour to myself to whip up something yummy! I definitely like to have something to do while its in the oven though.

dustysmommy2013, Jun 25, 2014
  10. Annabell

Tina Nord Well-Known Member

I usually bring a book or something into the kitchen and read inbetween batches when I am making cookies. It makes each 10 minute wait go by much faster.

Tina Nord, Jun 25, 2014
  11. Annabell

monkeyboots Well-Known Member

Oh gosh---I listen to so many...
    KCRW's Good Food, The JV Club with Janet Varney (interviews), The Splendid Table, Slumber Party with Alie and Georgia,
    America's Test Kitchen Radio, Afterbuzz (for my guilty pleasure t.v. shows like Real Housewives--now i feel ashamed...)

That's just a few of them. I'm an addict.

monkeyboots, Jun 25, 2014
  12. Annabell

I thought you were going to say that you read while you were cooking there for a second.

Thanks! I'll try and track a few of them down and try them out :)

Annabell, Jun 26, 2014
  13. Annabell

kammy Well-Known Member

Most of the time i'll listen to music while i'm baking at other times i'll just hop around and get the house tidied up.

kammy, Jul 17, 2014
  14. Annabell

Whitewolf2578 Active Member

I usually listen to music or watch something on Netflix. I have a hard time focusing on anything I bake usually so I think that watching tv helps me balance things out.

Whitewolf2578, Jul 18, 2014
  15. Annabell

Kas Member

Well, it depends on what I am doing. If I am baking cookies (particularly cutouts), I tend to listen to music or the radio. If it is something like a cake, I just go watch TV while it bakes.

Kas, Jul 19, 2014
  16. Annabell

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I am always doing some other stuff and it is mostly something that involves the TV. I have found that quite a few mentioned music but I can never remember listening to music while I was in the kitchen and I am in there a lot. Interestingly enough I love music but I have never mixed the two.

Winterybella, Jan 7, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question