What Is the Recipe You Can't Help But Do All the Time?

Discussion in 'Baker Banter' started by confettine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. confettine

confettine Well-Known Member

I don't know about you but I know -- I want to bake different cupcakes. I want to bake different cakes. I want to try out different sort of cookies...

And yet, in each category, I have my "Most Trusted Recipe" and I cannot help but turn to those when I feel like baking. I look at different cupcakes recipes, and I feel like not one of them willl be as moisty and light and as beautifully dark than my tested and tried favorite chocolate and mint cupcake recipe.

As for cakes, my pastry chef of a cousin gave me the recipe of a cake he made one time that I loved, and I always turn to that, even though I have still to get it just right.

I'm a bit conservative, it seems.

Do you also have some hesitation to branch out after you found a good formula? What is your go-to recipe that you cannot help but cook over and over?

confettine, Jan 15, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. confettine

primalclaws1974 Well-Known Member

I like to make many variants on meatloaf. I rarely make it exactly the same twice. Lately, I have been mixing up toppings. Because my family has a lot of different tastes, sometimes a 3-lb meatloaf may have three toppings. Last time I made it, there was BBQ sauce, cheddar cheese, and pizza sauce and mozzarella.

primalclaws1974, Jan 15, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. confettine

Tina Nord Well-Known Member

My new favorite recipe is the "Big Chocolate Birthday Cake" from The Pioneer Woman. It is very good, but the cake is huge once it is all made. I want to try and cut the recipe by half one of these days, but I am afraid I will mess it up.

Tina Nord, Jan 15, 2015
    confettine likes this.
  4. confettine

confettine Well-Known Member

I understand 100%! When you find a great recipe, you almost cry of relief because of how easy it is to get a perfect result. The flipside is that you are scared to mess with perfection. XD

And Primalclaw, that's very interesting! My mom only ever used one recipe of meatloaf, and we just mix ground meat with chopped veggies/egg/breadcrumbs, never tried to figure out a sauce. Yours looks like a mix of many different flavors, I'm intrigued.

confettine, Jan 15, 2015
  5. confettine

DancingLady Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm very like that as well. Once I find what works I tend to stick to it with only minor modifications. I tend to not use recipes though. I have a set pattern for how I make various things and then I change it up a little if I want to put in something different, but it's still the same basic thing. I'm not really that adventuresome it seems, once I find a good combination I just keep doing it.

DancingLady, Jan 16, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question