What Turned Out To Be Much Easier/Harder to Make Than Expected?

Reaction score
I ask because, well, as I advised someone to make cheesecake because it's pretty easy to make, an user was surprised because she expected cheesecakes to be hard to make!

I also remember how much harder to make than expected was whipped cream (with a manual whisk, hellish). And the cake it had to go with. Urgh.

What cakes or muffins or baked goods turned out to a be much different level of difficulty from what you thought? Why?

Reaction score
Carrot cake. When I first tried to make it I thought it'd be easy enough, but it turned out to be harder than I expected! Baking is indeed a real art! If you add a little too much or too little of something then you will be in troubles :p I learnt that when I baked my first cake... the carrot cake =D

Reaction score
Carrot cake. When I first tried to make it I thought it'd be easy enough, but it turned out to be harder than I expected! Baking is indeed a real art! If you add a little too much or too little of something then you will be in troubles :p I learnt that when I baked my first cake... the carrot cake =D

Carrot cake got you too, eh? I made mine - and it looked like it came out, but it was harder than a rock (didn't rise right) and I just had to try it again. Luckily second time I got it just right....

Another thing was baked bread. First loaf I didn't know when to pull it, and I thought it was still low (didn't rise enough) so I left it in. WRONG ANSWER. It came out like burnt toast =/

Reaction score
The burnt toast bread is pretty unfortunate. I never got bread quite right on my own. *sigh*

And carrot cake, never thought of even making some! I know my granny makes an excellent one, but sometimes, it's hard to make something that can compare so I don't even try!

Reaction score
Carrot cake got you too, eh? I made mine - and it looked like it came out, but it was harder than a rock (didn't rise right) and I just had to try it again. Luckily second time I got it just right....

Another thing was baked bread. First loaf I didn't know when to pull it, and I thought it was still low (didn't rise enough) so I left it in. WRONG ANSWER. It came out like burnt toast =/

Lol, Shimus! Glad to hear that didn't stop you from trying over and over =D I have a very old oven, it's so old you can't really see the numbers for the temperatures, so I got to do a lot guessing! To be honest I have no idea how I've been baking doing that, hehehe! Not going to dare making loaves of bread now tho, I could end up getting burnt toast too D:

Reaction score
Key lime pie is actually stupid easy and has very few ingredients.
It's one of my favorite pies so I was delighted when I found out how easy it is to make.

Reaction score
I love key lime pie =D I also make it from time to time, when i first saw it I thought it'd be a trouble maker, but it turned out to be a really easy pie to make :) Just like pecan pie! Not hard enough!

Reaction score
Another issue I ran into one time was overbaking a calzone like I came out with the burnt bread, but I stuffed it and I watched it, and I even rotated it to not burn it all on one side - but like you, I had to eye it (no temperatures, just 1-10 stating how hot my easy-bake oven is, LOL) and it..well didn't come out.

Other than that, I don't have much fails. Usually I can still eat the failures too, so it's win win.

Reaction score
Oh yaay! I'm not the only one who has to eye the things I bake on here :p Actually I was hesitant to reveal my oven is so odd and old that i need to eye everything I bake xD But I do, lol. Actually that's not so bad, what is really bad is the fact every time I want to turn the damn thing on I end up spending a lot time there using almost the whole box of matches!

Reaction score
Haha. It's not too bad, it actively forces you to keep looking and playing around with recipes and then hover over the oven watching intently. They say a watched pot never boils, but I think an unwatched bread still rises - so you gotta be on your toes. Plus eyeing things almost seems to be a better then setting on universal temp on things and going off that - not everything can conform to such a temp.

Reaction score
I thought cookies would be a difficult task. Don't ask me why, I just thought it would be. Granted, I have not baked what I would call the perfect cookie, but I have through trial and error gotten pretty close. In short then cookies were not as difficult as I thought.

I have not yet tried a cheesecake but I always thought it was difficult to make. I might have mentioned it somewhere before.

Hopefully, I will soon be able to report on the sponge which sounds tricky. It's a cake I always thought was simple.

Reaction score
Easier than expected has to be egg-based souffles and anything that requires dairy in the oven. It's generally an easy task to watch things rise.

http://www.mrfood.com/Eggs/Easy-Cheese-Souffle

This is what I made up, and it's actually quite simple. I always thought OH NO SOUFFLES will FALL or I'll fail them! Easier to cook then a lot of others I've experimented with though.

Reaction score
Key lime pie is actually stupid easy and has very few ingredients.
It's one of my favorite pies so I was delighted when I found out how easy it is to make.

I fell in love with Key lime pie when I visited Florida a few years ago. It is sooooooooo good! I buy it around here during the summer and have been dying to make my own at some point. As long as it is stupid easy, I should not mess it up!:p

Reaction score
Haha. It's not too bad, it actively forces you to keep looking and playing around with recipes and then hover over the oven watching intently. They say a watched pot never boils, but I think an unwatched bread still rises - so you gotta be on your toes. Plus eyeing things almost seems to be a better then setting on universal temp on things and going off that - not everything can conform to such a temp.

Hehehe, to be honest I barely see them while baking them ;) I just sit in the couch for a while, I go check in intervals of 10 or 15 minutes, depending on what I am baking. But I barely pay any attention to my baking, unless the things has been there for a while, so I know the time is getting closed, but I'm always on my toes, hehehe! Most of the time things turn out well :) It's fun! =D It's like going on a new adventure every single time :p You should see how long it takes to turn that damn on (the oven), ugh!!!!

Reaction score
Adventures eh? I quite expect a shocked look on yer face as you pull out a loaf of bread and it either deflates on you or is a hockey-puck. LOL :p

Jk. I cook bread like that too since my oven is close to my main chair/computer. Small places have their benefits, but not many.

Ask a Question