When you make coffee cake, do you use coffee extract, or actual coffee?

Reaction score
I've never made coffee cake, but I have made coffee flavored cheesecakes (making me hungry just thinking about them!) and the recipe calls for coffee extract. However, I've had times where I didn't have any coffee extract on hand, so I just got instant coffee and made a very, very concentrated liquid form of what was required. It worked just fine and you couldn't taste the difference from that to the times I've made it with the extract.

Omg.... you have just given me the best idea ever! Next time I bake a cheese pie I will definitely try this out. I totally love coffee!! I'm definitely going to pull this trick off and see how it works for me. Do you think it can also work well on no bake cheese pies?

Reaction score
Omg.... you have just given me the best idea ever! Next time I bake a cheese pie I will definitely try this out. I totally love coffee!! I'm definitely going to pull this trick off and see how it works for me. Do you think it can also work well on no bake cheese pies?

I bet it would, actually! As long as you mix it pretty thoroughly with the cream cheese I don't see it being an issue at all!

Reaction score
@cupcakechef I always blend all the ingredients in the blender ;) I used a moulinex mixer before, but sadly after years of service it broke, so whenever I want to bake a pie I use the bender. Everything is mixed perfectly.

Reaction score
I have never made coffee cake with coffee in it, but it sounds like a good idea. I make a simple vanilla type cake with a cinnamin sugar mix swirled thru it and a cinnamin sugar type crumble over the top. And, as the name implies, I like it with a nice hot cup of coffee in the morning and even as an afternoon treat. I have also put pecans in the cinnamin sugar mix that i swirl through the cake.

Reaction score
Simple coffee cake:

1 box vanilla cake mix
2 Tablespoons instant coffee
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons cinnamon

Make cake batter according to directions on box.
Mix in instant coffee to batter.

Mix together brown sugar and cinnamon.

Spray cake pan with thick layer of non-stick spray, or use butter to butter it up.
Pack brown sugar mix on bottom of cake pan.
Pour cake batter over brown sugar mix.
Bake according to package directions.

When done baking, take out of oven and let set a few minutes in pan on a rack.
After it cools for about 5 minutes, turn it over onto a dish....be careful the brown sugar mix might run off a bit,
if it didn't soak up into the batter.

Eat while hot or warm. Good with ice cream too.

Alterations:

Add nuts to brown sugar mix or cake batter.

Add 1 Tablespoon of sifted cocoa to the dry batter mix before mixing with wet ingredients.

Serve with hot cinnamon apples, pears, peaches, or pecans.

Use Nutmeg, Allspice, or Pumpkin Spice instead of cinnamon.

This is a recipe you can alter to just about any way you want to make it.

Reaction score
I know this is an old post but I've recently started making my coffee cake with Nescafe Azera. It tastes brilliant. It's also very fine so you don't need to mix it with a liquid before adding to your mixture so you don't alter the consistency of the batter.

Reaction score
I know this is an old post but I've recently started making my coffee cake with Nescafe Azera. It tastes brilliant. It's also very fine so you don't need to mix it with a liquid before adding to your mixture so you don't alter the consistency of the batter.

When using freeze dried coffee, I just ground it up in a bowl with a spoon until its powdery and then add it to the "wet" ingredients before I mix it with the dry. That way you don't mess with the mixture.

Reaction score
When using freeze dried coffee, I just ground it up in a bowl with a spoon until its powdery and then add it to the "wet" ingredients before I mix it with the dry. That way you don't mess with the mixture.

This is what I do too when I don't have any Nescafé Azera and it still makes a tasty coffee cake. I have definitely received the most compliments in terms of taste when I used Azera though. (It sounds like I work for Nescafé, I promise I don't haha!)

Ask a Question