Why is dried fruit used to make fruitcake?

Reaction score
Why is dried fruit used to make fruitcake?

I believe the dried fruit (and candy bits) is what makes fruitcake taste so horrible. Normally, dried fruit is eaten alone, which is best based on it's sweetness and texture. Real fruit might turn the average fruitcake into a winner.

fruit_mix2.jpg
- Ingredients for fruitcake

Reaction score
I think that dried fruit is used because if it isn't dried then it can make the cake a mess. The dried fruit that is used kinda gives fruitcake its flare. There are other versions that used fruit that isn't dried.

Reaction score
I do think that you are right that fresh fruit might taste a lot better in a fruitcake. However, I do believe that the reason that dried and candied fruit is used in a fruitcake is because by doing it that way it lasts longer.

A fruitcake wouldn't have any kind of a shelf life at all if real fruit was used because it would rot really quickly.

Reaction score
I do think that you are right that fresh fruit might taste a lot better in a fruitcake. However, I do believe that the reason that dried and candied fruit is used in a fruitcake is because by doing it that way it lasts longer.

A fruitcake wouldn't have any kind of a shelf life at all if real fruit was used because it would rot really quickly.

Well, that is try too that having undried fruit shortens the shelf life. I've seen fruitcake dated to last for 10 months at a time!

You can replace the dried fruit with undried and you will get a completely different fruitcake.

Reaction score
I have never liked fruit cake but I've never liked the fried fruits and candied stuff in it either. I, too, wonder if fresh fruits would do good even if it was baked and ate the same day? Its a possibility.

Reaction score
To be honest I don't know the whole story behind the fruitcakes, but my guess is that they use those dry fruit in particular to make the cake more festive and add some extra taste? I mean, I'm not a Christmas person (I'm Jewish and my family doesn't celebrate Christmas), but have seen plenty of those cakes... I still remember those green and red squares as a girl :) Didn't think it tasted so bad!

Reaction score
I'm just trying to imagine using grapes in a fruit cake. It's not working. 1lb of sultanas, currants and raisins verses 1lb of mixed variety grapes. Just the size difference alone would make the cake rather a lot bigger and how would you de-stone the grapes. Also I wonder what the grapes would do when heated up? I would imagine they would disintegrate and form a 'mush' which would release rather a lot of liquid into a cake mix. Somehow I can't see this pulp and fruit juice ending up as a fruit cake.

so dried fruit verses fresh fruit...
raisins, currants, sultanas yes, grapes, no.
glace cherries, yes, fresh cherries - probably too seasonal, but could probably work.
mixed candied peel, I don't put that in anyhow, but, lemon peel, yes, orange peel, yes, that would work.

Reaction score
Where I'm originally from, fruitcake is a staple at Christmas! I LOVE fruitcake, but only if done right. If done right, a good fruitcake can weigh a good 4-5 pounds! Dried fruit is used because it soaks up the liquor that is used in the "process," and it's a long process. Like rum balls, you pour the liquor over it and let stand for days at a time. There are imitation fruitcakes that don't use spirits to give the cake its "spirit," but you don't really want those ... :)

Reaction score
Do you know a good fruit cake recipe, barkingaquirrel? You sounds like a total expert in fruit cakes ;) I have tried some good ones, but that was a long time ago. I must admit most fruit cakes I have tried weren't good, but as you said it depends on the recipe used. So far I haven't found a good one, so if you know any good one let me know :)

Ask a Question