Worst Baking Disaster?

Reaction score
Okay, so I'd love to hear everyone horror stories of their worst baking disaster. I remember one of the first times my mom let my sister and her friend make cookies the recipe called for 5 1/4 cups of flour. My sisters friend, thinking herself very smart, said they needed 1 and 1/4 cups flour because she added the fractions. When the cookies were all messed up my mom asked her how much flour she put in. She said 5 one fourth cups. It was pretty funny.

Reaction score
I haven't had one pop into my head about ME yet, but my older sister often tells the story of the time she mistook the salt for the sugar. She said she ended up with these lovely cookies (I can't remember what kind) that tasted disgusting and you couldn't eat them. Imagine a CUP of salt in your cookies! :(

Reaction score
I used to work in a restaurant and one of the pastry chefs there was teaching me how to bake (this is actually when I really started to love baking). I was trying to make bread from scratch and I got all the measurements wrong and I put way too much yeast in so when it started to rise it was massive and messy.

Reaction score
Once I forgot to put yeast in some dinner rolls I was baking and I ended up with hockey pucks. I kept wondering why they weren't rising and then I noticed the unopened package of yeast on the counter under my cookbook.

Reaction score
I once tried to make the Jello Christmas cakes for a huge party. My grandmother had made these for years with a cake mix, boxes of red and green jello and cool whip. She always talked about how simple they were to make and they were fool proof. Gave me a false sense of security because I didn't do a trial run and they were my only dessert for the party. Cakes crumbled and came out a mess....it was a disaster! I had to send a friend to the market for an emergency cookie platter!

Reaction score
Recently everything I make is a disaster as the thermostat on our oven is broken so there's a fine line between being undercooked and burnt. I made a Victoria sponge (or at least, I tried...) a few months ago but didn't line my tins. Not only was the cake burnt due to the thermostat, but when I tried to take it out the tin, it fell apart into about 6 pieces. :( Mary Berry would've been ashamed - it was her recipe...

Reaction score
Sorry for double posting, but yesterday I had a baking disaster which definitely trumps the cake failure!

I attempted to make blondies for the first time, but I obviously didn't mix the eggs in properly. I went to bake them, but when I went to turn them around, I noticed a meringue-like topping had formed and the stuff underneath was still sloshing around. I broke off the topping and ate it, and it basically was meringue. What did the blondie underneath run out like? Well...nothing but butter and sugar, really, so very crumbly and SO greasy. I can't believe I wasted an entire bag of walnuts and big bar of chocolate on them! :(

Better luck next time...

Reaction score
Oh boy do I have one! This is going to sound kind of silly. I was only ten years old or so, I was just a young kid! My mom left me a brownie recipe to follow, and it was my first time baking on my own. I still didn't understand anything about baking. Well, needless to say, I accidentally substituted oil for vinegar...Yep, it did not taste pretty!

Reaction score
I once tried to make the Jello Christmas cakes for a huge party. My grandmother had made these for years with a cake mix, boxes of red and green jello and cool whip. She always talked about how simple they were to make and they were fool proof. Gave me a false sense of security because I didn't do a trial run and they were my only dessert for the party. Cakes crumbled and came out a mess....it was a disaster! I had to send a friend to the market for an emergency cookie platter!

That must have been embarrassing and stressful. Did you ever try to make the Jello cakes again, and did you learn to make them successfully?
I have a similar recipe pinned on Pinterest and now I'm wondering whether I should still try it.

Reaction score
My first baking disaster happened when I was about 13. I wanted to start baking on my own and I was using a yellow cake mix, and somehow I read the directions wrong and added more water than what was called for. The batter was too runny and I had to throw it up.

Reaction score
Oh boy do I have one! This is going to sound kind of silly. I was only ten years old or so, I was just a young kid! My mom left me a brownie recipe to follow, and it was my first time baking on my own. I still didn't understand anything about baking. Well, needless to say, I accidentally substituted oil for vinegar...Yep, it did not taste pretty!

Oh dear, that does not sound pleasant! That's quite cute at the same time though, at least you tried. :)

Reaction score
My main baking disaster has always been Victoria Sponges. I have been told I get this from my Granny. Not matter how careful I am, they have always turned out more like pancakes :( Very jealous of my sisters-in-law who have these beautiful high sponges, when mine are lucky if they get to a centimetre high!

Reaction score
My main baking disaster has always been Victoria Sponges. I have been told I get this from my Granny. Not matter how careful I am, they have always turned out more like pancakes :( Very jealous of my sisters-in-law who have these beautiful high sponges, when mine are lucky if they get to a centimetre high!

I have that problem as well, but I think it might be the size of the tins I use. I might need to invest in some bigger ones and trying increasing the quanitities, to see if that makes a difference.

Ask a Question