Advice needed

Reaction score
Hi I’m new to this forum, but not new to baking! I’ve always loved baking and during lockdown decided to make cupcakes to sell. This has gone really well this last lockdown. I’ve set up an Instagram account and would really like to do this as a profession, although I don’t seem to earn much out of doing it. Can anyone tell me are you suppose to list what ingredients go into your cakes? I don’t cook with nuts as I can’t eat them so I dont have that issue with my baking. Advice greatly appreciated many thanks

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hi I’m new to this forum, but not new to baking! I’ve always loved baking and during lockdown decided to make cupcakes to sell. This has gone really well this last lockdown. I’ve set up an Instagram account and would really like to do this as a profession, although I don’t seem to earn much out of doing it. Can anyone tell me are you suppose to list what ingredients go into your cakes? I don’t cook with nuts as I can’t eat them so I dont have that issue with my baking. Advice greatly appreciated many thanks
local health dept would be your source.
I ran a bakery for yrs and never posted a single ingredient.
But if the customer can self serve, if its packaged for them to select from a shelf .. then all sorts of regulations kick in.

Reaction score
, although I don’t seem to earn much out of doing it.
you can do anything baking at home without regard to expense but selling it requires finding people who will pay the price, you can either raise your prices and see if they still buy or lower your costs.
Its very difficult if youre paying retail prices, might be better getting a fed tax ID number and buying cash and carry places like restaurant depot. They will usually allow wholesale buyers to break cases if they just need 10 lbs of butter.

Packaging can be a problem too, it should be less than 3% of cost. Mine was 2 1/2%.
A 10x10x4 white box .57 cents , you can't put underpriced product in that box.
Plastic clamshell container for 6 cupcakes is 50 cents.
If you can charge $4 ea then you'll be at 2% cost for the container.

Reaction score

If you’re in the United States nearly every state has cottage food laws.

It is illegal to sell food produce from home kitchen without a business and health department license.

And it is not just nuts you need to be concerned about.

There’s a list of foods that are prohibited for sale from a home kitchen are based on water activity level. These would prohibit the sale of any type of icing and fillings made butter, cream, and custards.

And yes, every state falls under federal food labeling laws. So food produced in a home kitchen for sale must comply with federal food labeling laws. But the good news is there are apps that make labeling easy.

But nearly every state prohibits internet sales of food produced in a home kitchen. Food poisoning is a major problem. In the event of a food poisoning outbreak the health department needs to be able to track down the source. So the states prohibit people from selling home cooked food over the internet because they cannot contain to whom and where it goes.

You need to contact the county health department to find out what the requirements are in you county and state.

Reaction score
This may help. https://www.pickyourown.org/CottageFoodLawsByState.htm
My cake studio is in my home. It's way too expensive to own a shop in South Carolina. I have been in the F&B industry since 2000. Working in BOH or as a server. 99% of the people in this business are in it because it's their passion. Trust, that are not in it for the money. Working in the BOH for 12-13 hrs a day 7 days a week will make you old and worn out real fast. The pay is low. That's why there is such a big shortage of F&B workers right now. They make more on unemployment. There is even a shortage food delivery for the same reason. Most restaurants fail within the first 3 years because of money. Food biz profit margin is 30% IF you're lucky. I have to sell a lot of cake to pay my bills. I saved $300 from the farmers market sales and started my business. I don't take vacations, I have missed a few funerals and food work hours and days are opposite of everyone else. Weekend are my weekdays. During the week I send out quotes, place orders and do prep work. Running your own business is probably the hardest thing I'v ever done. But I can't imagine doing anything else. It's in my blood. If you love it, you will make it work. If you enjoy it occasionally do it as a side hustle. But don't ever expect to get rich or make a lot of money. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
If you’re in the United States nearly every state has cottage food laws.

It is illegal to sell food produce from home kitchen without a business and health department license.

And it is not just nuts you need to be concerned about.

There’s a list of foods that are prohibited for sale from a home kitchen are based on water activity level. These would prohibit the sale of any type of icing and fillings made butter, cream, and custards.

And yes, every state falls under federal food labeling laws. So food produced in a home kitchen for sale must comply with federal food labeling laws. But the good news is there are apps that make labeling easy.

But nearly every state prohibits internet sales of food produced in a home kitchen. Food poisoning is a major problem. In the event of a food poisoning outbreak the health department needs to be able to track down the source. So the states prohibit people from selling home cooked food over the internet because they cannot contain to whom and where it goes.

You need to contact the county health department to find out what the requirements are in you county and state.
In SC we don't have to have a permit or license. They are in the process if updating the cottage food laws here. It's wonderful. WE can't ship or sell to restaurants and there are certain time/temp products we can't sell. Like banana bread, pumpkin or custard pies, cheesecake and those types of things. They won't come hunt you down if you don't comply but if you get caught selling those things they will slap a fine on you. We do have to have a tax id. I know all states are different. Some states allow food we don't and vice versa. Some states they only allow you to make so much money and some states have no cap. They just lifted the cap here in SC. Even thought I've been doing this for a few years now, I still refer back to the SC cottage food laws, since they are always being updated. PS, it's nice to see something that even knows cottage food laws exist. Since COVID we had a huge surge in home bakers here and they break those rules left and right all day, every day. I have to turn down business because of those laws and its quite frustrating to see that another home baker displaying her "illegal" work....lol. I'm not a snitch. But if one of their clients gets sick because she baked a cheesecake or custard pie, she'll probably get sued.

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question