Baked Pita Chips

Reaction score
This is sort of a cheat recipe, in my opinion, since all you do is cut up pita bread, season it, and then bake it, but it would be nice for a quick treat, and great for appetizers. I would like to make pita bread from scratch someday, but for now, this recipe might be a nice compromise. Pita bread and chips have always been a favorite of mine. We always had toasted pita bread at home when I was growing up, and toasted pita chips with hummus are yummy.

Reaction score
Is pita bread the unleavened bread? I am not really familiar with pita bread but I have come across the term in some readings. And if what I know of pita is correct that it's like the tortilla, I have to agree that it would be a good snack when toasted because of the crunchy texture. And for the seasoning? Maybe I would have cheese bits for the toppings and if there is bell pepper, that would be an instant home made pizza for me.

Reaction score
I love pitta chips as they sound so much healthier, but I doubt they are. If you do go for wholemeal or the stoneground ones they maybe a little healthier as in having more fiber. These days I see pitta bread that are made with garlic and sundried tomatoes and I think those would be yummy pitta chips.

Reaction score
Love pita chips and hummus! We've just recently found out too that our not quite two year old daughter is also obsessed with hummus - she'll just eat it straight, not needing anything to dip it into!

Reaction score
Sounds like a much healthier option than your standard tortilla chips. I am pretty sure that I have something similar to these, and they are great. Just give me something to dip in it or top it with something good and I would say you have a good snack on hand. Guacamole is preferred of course, but it is just so darn expensive here.

Reaction score
I'm sure you could do something similar with tortillas, to make your own baked tortilla chips at home. I've actually considered doing that @rz3300, since I'm not a big fryer, and love to bake. I've found some tortillas that I'm happy with (flour), and might try making some baked flour tortilla chips and see how they come out.

@Corzhens Some pita is unleavened, and others are slightly leavened. I've never made it from scratch, but I'd like to someday. I would also love to make mazo bread someday, that's an unleavened bread/cracker.

Ask a Question