Baked Taquitos

Reaction score
Making these for dinner tomorrow!

The original recipe source can be found here: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/oven_fried_beef_taquitos

MB8562_Ardito.JPG

• 1 medium zucchini
  • 2 teaspoons canola oil
  • 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
  • 3 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 12 6-inch corn tortillas
  • Canola oil cooking spray
  • 3/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
  2. Shred zucchini using the large holes of a box grater. Squeeze dry in a clean kitchen towel (you should have about 2 cups). Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini, beef, chili powder, onion powder, cumin and salt. Cook, stirring, until the beef is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
  3. Spread tortillas out on a baking sheet in two overlapping rows. Bake until hot, 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cover.
  4. Coat the baking sheet with cooking spray. Place 6 tortillas on a clean cutting board. Working quickly, spread a generous 1/4 cup beef mixture along the bottom third of a tortilla, sprinkle with about 1 tablespoon cheese and tightly roll into a cigar shape. Place the taquito seam-side down on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining tortillas, filling and cheese. Generously coat the top and sides of the taquitos with cooking spray.
  5. Bake the taquitos until browned and crispy, 14 to 18 minutes.

Reaction score
This is an interesting recipe. I like taquitos, but have never seen a recipe for baked ones. I prefer that, since it would not only be healthier, but also wouldn't result in splattered grease on the stove top. I'd never have thought to include zucchini, but that's a good idea to boost the healthiness of these, and I'm sure it gives them a rich flavor.

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Taquitos are one of my favorite snacks but I usually buy the frozen ones. This recipe will come in handy as I am working hard to try to eat better.

Reaction score
They turned out really well - even the husband loved them and got seconds - and he's usually all about fried food...so I guess that's a good sign, right? ;)

Reaction score
They turned out really well - even the husband loved them and got seconds - and he's usually all about fried food...so I guess that's a good sign, right? ;)

Indeed, and I'm glad you mentioned that little fact. Sounds like my husband, so maybe mine will like them too. They look great to me, and I'm always looking for something new to try (despite picky eaters around here). I think this one looks like a winner. Thanks!

Reaction score
Indeed, and I'm glad you mentioned that little fact. Sounds like my husband, so maybe mine will like them too. They look great to me, and I'm always looking for something new to try (despite picky eaters around here). I think this one looks like a winner. Thanks!

I'm the same - I have lists a mile long of things that I want to bake, but sometimes when it comes to savory lunch/dinner ideas I end up at a loss! So I'm always glad to find new recipes that work for my family! :)

Reaction score
The ingredients of the recipe for this baked taquitos is quite indeed easy to find and a healthy one. Thanks for sharing the recipe and it is very interesting to make it a try. :) I am sure me and my husband will like this. :)

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing! It does seem easy, I'll save the recipe for future reference.

Reaction score
I've used a similar recipe, but a vegetarian version. Instead I use crepes or lasagna sheets and then bake them with some marinara sauce over the top. They are much tastier baked and you don't have to worry about the fillings oozing out. The sauce stops them drying out and also keeps any stray fillings from falling out.

Reaction score
I have used this EXACT recipe before. Its one of my favorites actually. We don't like frying taquitos, as it always turns out very greasy. When we bake them, they are a tad bit healthier and the flavor is wonderful! We make them a couple times a month, sometimes with beef, sometimes with my "chicken & cream cheese" recipe.

Reaction score
These look really awesome, you will make me want to try these as soon as possible. I really love Mexican food and these taquitos are going to be great for this sunday's lunch, my mom will love them. Thank you very much for sharing this!

Reaction score
Sounds like a much healthier version of one of my favorites. I love all the combinations that you can do, and I usually stick to what I know but I am thinking that I could really work some more veggies in there given the idea that it is baked. I like it, so thank you for sharing that.

Reaction score
Although my husband does not dig it, I often eat in a Mexican restaurant for the taco. But I remember that I had once ordered taquitos when I dined there with a former classmate of mine who also loves Mexican food. And one time with my husband, he ordered a burrito which I do not like. Back to taquito, I can only eat that in a Mexican restaurant because no one in our house can make it. For the Mexican food in our kitchen it is only the chili beans (chili con carne) in our menu.

Ask a Question