Baking tools you've inherited and/or intend to pass down

Reaction score
Have you inherited baking tools or equipment from your grandmother, mother or aunts? Do you intend to bequeath your favorite mixing bowls or pizza stone to your own children?

I've been lucky enough to inherit baking tools, pans and serving plated from the women in my family and my husband's family. There's something special about using well-loved items from previous generations -- especially during the holidays and family gatherings.

I have my grandmother's marble rolling pin, glass corn-stick pan and cake plates. I have my mother-in-law's cookie sheets, pie pans and muffin tins. I don't have any children, but my nieces already have dibs on Auntie DJ's kitchenware.

How about you?

Reaction score
I have a few kitchen and baking relating items that have come from my grandma. Lots of pyrex, some small individual Yorkshire pudding tins, and cake tins for storing baked goods. It's nice using old items like that, I loved baking with my grandma when I was little so it's nice to use some of her things when I'm baking at home now! I also have some non-baking bits like an old tea scoop and tea strainer for loose tea which I got from a great aunt via my grandma. There's something comforting about using things that remind you of family, I have some sewing stuff I got from her too and feel exactly the same about that!

Reaction score
Funny you should ask. I just made a thread about this. My Gramma gave me her cast iron skillets which she also taught me were fantastic for baking. I love them for everything. In fact I cannot get one of those fancy new glasstop ovens because I use cast iron. I say no great loss :)

Reaction score
I inherited all of my grandmothers baking pans and decorating tips. I use them all he time and I intend to pass them down to my kids.

Reaction score
Wow, that is just so cool, and I wish I had something like that , too. I grew up in a house with no stove, so we didn't have an oven, and nothing to bake with. My mom did know how to bake, but by the time she had me, we had moved, and the house was an old one with no 220 electricity in it. It originally had a wood cook stove, but that was gone by the time we moved there.
So, I learned to cook with just an electric skillet, and an electric cooker, kind of like a crockpot, but with variable settings. But' I had great parents, and they taught me the important things I needed to learn in life, and I have done my best to pass that along to my children, so I feel good about that.

Reaction score
Wow, that is just so cool, and I wish I had something like that , too. I grew up in a house with no stove, so we didn't have an oven, and nothing to bake with. My mom did know how to bake, but by the time she had me, we had moved, and the house was an old one with no 220 electricity in it. It originally had a wood cook stove, but that was gone by the time we moved there.
So, I learned to cook with just an electric skillet, and an electric cooker, kind of like a crockpot, but with variable settings. But' I had great parents, and they taught me the important things I needed to learn in life, and I have done my best to pass that along to my children, so I feel good about that.
I can relate to not having an oven. I rent and it seems like everywhere I move the stove is broken or doesn't work right. I have to buy a new stove now because the temperature is not consistent.

Reaction score
I just got an old Welbilt bread oven from my Mom that had been gathering dust in her basement. I will wear this thing out, and definitely get me a more capable model afterwards. I'm hooked for life. I want to always have one in the home, sort of like a toaster.

Reaction score
I am an Equipment Junky. But I like quality equipment and sometimes get lost because I do not like paying extra for the warranties. My favorite baking tool right now is the big mixer with the whipping ring. My other favorite would be my electric can opener because I was so tired of turning my opener by hand. I intend to pass down its not so much for baking but for making coffee, my espresso machine

Reaction score
My Grandmother was a cake decorator in the 1950's. I was so lucky to get her bowls, pans, books, and decorating kit. Another family heirloom is my Great-Grandmother's rolling pin. I recieved that for my 21st birthday, and I was so proud.

Reaction score
You have inherited some great kitchen items!

My mother-in-law gave me her old Kitchen Aid heavy duty mixer. I absolutely love it. It mixes the best bread dough.

Reaction score
My grandmother and mother didn't bake and I had a dysfunctional childhood.

But I have a lot of baking stuff of my own to give my daughter, even if not all of it is heirloom quality. I have some adorable Nordic Ware pans that make Bundt cakes in the shape of flowers, a Nordic Ware castle shaped cake pan.
a Wilton pan that makes cakes shaped like skulls, I have 3 boxes of different cookie cutters I've collected over the years, heart shaped brownie pans,
a big Paula Dean wooden pastry rolling board with pie measurements on it.
There's more crap but I don't want to post a wall of text.

I didn't grow up with those domestic traditions so I'm trying to be the first generation of my family that does normal family stuff, like bake skull shaped cakes with Dia De Los Muertos icing while listening to Japanese techno music with my daughter.

Reaction score
We have many cookie cutters and cake pans from my grandmother, plus cake decorating supplies from before everything was made of plastic.

Reaction score
We have many cookie cutters and cake pans from my grandmother, plus cake decorating supplies from before everything was made of plastic.

That's awesome. I had a weird childhood so I don't have anything from my grandmother or mother. I'm trying to be the first generation of my family that actually has Christmas traditions and heirlooms and all that good stuff.
Hopefully someday my grandkids will say, "Grandma left us her good techno CDs and her skull baking pans."

Reaction score
Does wanting to inherit count?
I want to inherit some really nice cast iron pans that cook everything so nice and evenly.
Nothing sticks inside of them and I love them.
I don't want to use any other pans.

Reaction score
Does wanting to inherit count?
I want to inherit some really nice cast iron pans that cook everything so nice and evenly.
Nothing sticks inside of them and I love them.
I don't want to use any other pans.

Wow. You're lucky that someone in your family has those.
I'm going to buy some new ones and season them so that my daughter can inherit them from me.

Reaction score
I have received cast iron skillets, cookie sheets, rolling pins, dishes, and even soup ladles from way back in the day from my great-granddad's house tat he built. It's very old, and I don't think you can even walk in there now, but my grandma and my mom let me pick out some stuff from there a while back. I love having items that have sentimental value to them.

Reaction score
I have received cast iron skillets, cookie sheets, rolling pins, dishes, and even soup ladles from way back in the day from my great-granddad's house tat he built. It's very old, and I don't think you can even walk in there now, but my grandma and my mom let me pick out some stuff from there a while back. I love having items that have sentimental value to them.

That sounds awesome. Wow, those baking tools must be at least 100 years old. Do you still bake with them or just have them on display?

Reaction score
Wow. You're lucky that someone in your family has those.
I'm going to buy some new ones and season them so that my daughter can inherit them from me.

They'll be some of the best cooking/baking supplies she'll ever receive in my opinion. A well seasoned cast iron pan can be so versatile.

Reaction score
My grandmother was a excellent cook. I used to watch her cook and bake in her kitchen. She gave my mom most of her cast iron, frying and baking pans. She gave her some nice silverware sets. I inherited them from my mom. We cook with these items on a special occasion such as the holidays. I would like to past the pans and cast iron down to my daughter. I hope my daughter inherit all of my cookware.

Reaction score
I inherited a lot of my mother's baking pans and I also got my aunts cake decorating kit which is amazing to have. I plan on handing that one down to my daughter. We love to frost cookies together and I think that she really has a knack for it and will develop a talent and the love that my family before her had.

Ask a Question