Brewer's yeast?

Reaction score
Hello, I am new here! I found a bread recipe that I would like to make. The recipe is italian and it calls for lievito di birra disidratato, which google tells me is dehydrated brewer's yeast. When I search for brewer's yeast to buy, I can only seem to find large $10 cans, and I just don't need that much. Is normal active dry yeast an acceptable replacement for brewer's yeast?

Thank y'all!

Reaction score
Hello, I am new here! I found a bread recipe that I would like to make. The recipe is italian and it calls for lievito di birra disidratato, which google tells me is dehydrated brewer's yeast. When I search for brewer's yeast to buy, I can only seem to find large $10 cans, and I just don't need that much. Is normal active dry yeast an acceptable replacement for brewer's yeast?

Thank y'all!

Yes you can use active dry yeast instead. Brewer’s yeast is not commonly used in baking anyway. It’s a different strain of yeast more suited for brewing beer anyway.

Ask a Question