Cinnamon Roll Proof Problem? Why did they come out like this?

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Bakers,
I am trying to understand some of the mysteries of the cinnamon roll...

I am using the following dough recipe:
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more, room-temperature, for bowl and dish
  • 1 medium russet potato (8 ounces), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (1 1/4 cups) -boiled and mashed.
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (not rapid-rise; one whole 1/4-ounce envelope)
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 3 1/2 cups bread flour, plus more for dusting
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

The recipe called for a refrigerated first rise (over night)
Then after rolling the cinnamon roll log, resting it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Then, after cutting the rolls and placing them in the baking dish (glass), another overnight proof.
Then, before baking - take them out of the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature for 1 hour before baking.

Last night, when I made them, I did the first rise in a warm place, then a slight kneading before rolling them out and making the log. after cutting the rolls and placing them in the pan I baked them after 25 minutes of proofing. By the time I was putting the rolls in the pain I could see that they were alreading puffing up. They were not exactly doubled in size when they went in the oven, but close.

This is a picture of what they came out looking like. You can see that the bread walls contracted when cooling, - loosing fluffiness and creating empty space.
Why did this happen? Were they underproofed?

27331.jpeg

I was nervous about OVERPROOFING the rolls because, after following a similar recipe that called for an overnight first rise, a coming to room temperature and then rolling,cutting and proofing for 1.5 hours, the following was the result: I am assuming that this is the result of an overproofed roll?
20200427_175118.jpg

So, How do you know when proofing is done/not done?
Is there a difference between proofing overnight in fridge or just on the counter for, say 45 minutes?
Can I just bake rolls proofed in the fridge directly, or do I really need to let them come to room temp?
Any advice?
Thanks

Reaction score
Do not roll tight.

Roll out 14”

Allow plenty of space between rolls (see photos)

Do not proof by time. Proof by look and feel. (See photo)

Do not proof by time. Proof by look and feel. (See photo)

These are photos from a recipe that I was developing a few years ago.

Leave plenty of space between rolls
5E1784E2-F943-4DAA-A5CA-88D9C9FC1A5C.jpeg

Roll will expand and fill in all sides and double in size. Touch dough lightly. If a slight indentation remains, it’s ready to bake
90659348-61C6-4700-B88C-4244E07B8778.jpeg

Interior test recipe cinnamon rolls glazed
01B702E1-0C01-44D0-8AFF-9453821DF54E.jpeg

Interior test recipe; not glazed
5CA1B9EC-AF2F-4590-9126-A2BC0994FDBE.jpeg

Same dough baked in a muffin tin
D8EBD220-1160-479B-A97D-82A7D2259DAD.jpeg

Baked in muffin tin
8CEA9C85-1ABF-40EE-BE6A-3F88C6F58A5F.jpeg

Ask a Question