Cookies for toddlers

Reaction score
I plan to bake a couple of cookies for my toddler. There are such wonderful recipes here on the forum which I intend to try out. My plan for my toddler is to prolong his sweet tooth. Both my husband and I have given up sugar in our house and do not have it in our teas and coffee as we strongly feel that kids get too much sugar in their diet. We have to lead by example (this is my husband's idea). Could I reduce the sugar quantity in most of the recipes? Would it make any difference to the end result or do I need to replace the sugar with something else? I would appreciate any suggestions as I am a novice baker.

Reaction score
I have a good idea. Try this recipe: http://weelicious.com/2010/09/23/banana-oatmeal-chocolate-chip-cookies/
My son loves this recipe and sugar is not used in this recipe. You can opt out the chocolate chips if you want.

Those sound like they would not only be very tasty but also a lot healthier then other cookies recipes that might be around. Thanks for the link to these cookies, I think I might be making some of those this weekend while watching my grandkids, they love homemade baked cookies,and I always try to keep making different kinds for them when I can.:)

Reaction score
Yes, I have the same problem. My kids love sugar, as do I. I don't know if I could entirely sweep it out of everyone's diet. I have a sweet tooth myself. I limit my kids intake of "junkfood" though. I know there are many different treats that are made without sugar on Allrecipes.com.

Reaction score
Shortbread is a good cookie if you want a treat, but do not want a lot of sugar. They are super easy to make too with only 4 ingredients.

Reaction score
Those sound like they would not only be very tasty but also a lot healthier then other cookies recipes that might be around. Thanks for the link to these cookies, I think I might be making some of those this weekend while watching my grandkids, they love homemade baked cookies,and I always try to keep making different kinds for them when I can.:)

Agreed, I'm always up for some healthy options that aren't quite as sugared up. Sounds like a great idea to try!

Reaction score
I plan to bake a couple of cookies for my toddler. There are such wonderful recipes here on the forum which I intend to try out. My plan for my toddler is to prolong his sweet tooth. Both my husband and I have given up sugar in our house and do not have it in our teas and coffee as we strongly feel that kids get too much sugar in their diet. We have to lead by example (this is my husband's idea). Could I reduce the sugar quantity in most of the recipes? Would it make any difference to the end result or do I need to replace the sugar with something else? I would appreciate any suggestions as I am a novice baker.
We eat very limited sugar in our house as well. So when it comes to baking, it can be a challenge. I wanted to reduce the amount of sugar my kids ate especially when they were little and their teeth were just coming in.I like the recipe above. I used something very similar when I was baking for my toddler. They love them and don't miss the sugar a bit!!!

Hope this helps!
Danyel :)

Reaction score
This thread caught my attention not because I have a toddler but because I was curious as to what might be recommended for them. I am glad I found the page as I find that it actually provides great information and a great recipe for me a "pre" senior citizen;) with lots of health concerns when it comes to baking.

Reaction score
You can always use Stevia extract too, I personally don't like sweeteners, but the extract taken directly from the Stevia plan is really good! No added chemicals, so if you ask me that is a win win.! That way you won't sacrifice taste for health....

Ask a Question