Crusty but fluffy inside white bread recipe

Reaction score
I’m a novice bread baker. My children bought me an introductory baking tuition day at Peter’s Bread bakery in Herefordshire and I caught the bread baking bug.
I’m at the stage of getting plaudits for my efforts from wife, children and, even, grandchildren, but want to kick on.
Please can anyone supply me with the recipe and method for crusty white bread that’s really fluffy inside? The sort of bread that you get in a good pub’s ploughman’s.
Also, occasionally, my bread is slightly floury. How can I remedy this?

Reaction score
Something tells me you're using dry yeast, bakeries use fresh cake or compressed fresh yeast.
It will make a world of difference in everything, just be sure not to use warm liquids of any type, very cold liquids only.

Hi-gluten or strong bread flour, no sugar and high baking temperatures give the type of bread you're seeking.

Reaction score
Thanks for replying. You are correct, I am using Allinson's Easy Bake yeast. I've Googled 'compressed fresh yeast' and it seems that the minimum purchase quantity is 1kg and it only keeps for about 10 days so it's a 'no go' for me.

Ask a Question