Dutch oven

Reaction score
Is dutch oven necessary for baking sourdough with crunchy exterior or are there alternatives to achieve the same? Thanks!

Reaction score
Is dutch oven necessary for baking sourdough with crunchy exterior or are there alternatives to achieve the same? Thanks!

If you do not want to purchase anything you can try to conduct the heat by placing metal baking sheets on bottom and top racks. Add a steam to the oven by placing some boiling water in a shallow pan on the oven floor. But this method isn’t that great since most baking sheets warp in high heat; baking sheet doesn't conduct heat as well as a baking stone or baking steel; it’s difficult to control the steam in the oven. The results are okay, but not the same as an enclosed environment.

Sourdough requires consistent high heat, and steam. A home oven with racks does not provide the consist heat; they don't have steam AND vent function.

The Dutch oven creates a sealed hot environment that holds the moisture in.

If you do not have a Dutch oven, you can use a baking stone and large stock pot. But what you pay for a good baking stone is the cost of cast iron combo cooker by Lodge.

You don’t need an expensive $450 Dutch oven like Le Creuset or Staub. The Lodge combo cooker works very well.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise. I'll think about the combo cooker 'cause I already have a cast-iron pan. For now, would cast-iron be better to use than the baking sheets?

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise. I'll think about the combo cooker 'cause I already have a cast-iron pan. For now, would cast-iron be better to use than the baking sheets?

Yes cast iron would be better than baking sheets since baking sheets cannot be heated to high temps; do not conduct heat with the same consistency

Ask a Question