Troubleshooting Egg Replacements in GF Baking

Reaction score
We successfully used applesauce to replace eggs in a GF banana bread. Now it isn't turning out. We switched to vinegar and baking soda and now it looks horrible. It is too dark. What are we missing? The mini loaves are sinking and dark as well.

Attachments

• 15425884145412262446448403681448.jpg
    15425884145412262446448403681448.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 393
Reaction score
We successfully used applesauce to replace eggs in a GF banana bread. Now it isn't turning out. We switched to vinegar and baking soda and now it looks horrible. It is too dark. What are we missing? The mini loaves are sinking and dark as well.

I don’t make vegan so I can’t be of much help. I do believe @Becky has a lot of vegan baking experience, so she might be able to help. She usually checks the forum Monday through Friday.

Reaction score

I've never tried vinegar and baking soda as an egg replacement, I'm not sure why it would make it dark. What was the flavour and texture like?

I've used apple puree before, but if it caused your cake to stick then I guess it's not a good replacement in that particular recipe. Have you tried making flax eggs? They're a useful substitute for eggs. You need 1 tbsp of milled flax seeds and 2.5 tbsp water, mix them together and allow to sit for a few minutes until it has gone gloopy.

Do you have a link to the recipe?

Reaction score
Can you eat flax seeds? If so, use much more than you expect to need. And possibly add chia seeds, the combo flax+chia produces good egg replacement results. I use 1/2 cup of ground flax and 1/4 cup chia seeds in a loaf with about 3-4 cups of flour (total). The crust became more dark because vinegar breaks up the starches a little and so you got more browning. Incidentally this helps the yeast if you're baking yeast bread. Are you? If you're using baking soda then maybe not. The recipe would help.

Reaction score
Have you tried flaxseed eggs?

Ask a Question