First time baking bread...

Reaction score
So I have been wanting to try my hand at baking bread. I have looked at purchasing a bread machine. I have seen those new bread mixes in the store that say they are easy to do. However, I still have no idea what is the best route to go for a newbie.

Where should I start or do you have an easy recipe for me to try for my first time baking bread?

Reaction score
My best advice is to just go for it. Baking is not that hard at all. In fact, you can just skip the purchasing of a bread machine for now (it makes your life easier but is not necessary) and do it the old fashioned way. The simplest one I can think of is probably a simple baguette. All it involves is flour, yeast, sugar, water, salt, and egg yolk. A quick google search can find you an easy recipe. I myself started off with a recipe not requiring me to make a starter. However you should always be sure to proof your yeast by mixing your yeast, some water and sugar then waiting to see if it bubbles and creates a distinct odor. If it does you're good to go. You don't want to make my beginner mistake and NOT proof your yeast only to find out your yeast was no longer any good and have rock solid "bread" coming out of the oven. Best of luck.

Reaction score
Just jump right in! If you choose to try baking a loaf before you buy the machine, you'll hardly be out any cash, and you'll have the experience of trying something new. I had NO idea what I was doing my first time, and my first loaves turned out great!

Reaction score
I am a total klutz at baking bread from scratch, and I love my bread machine, so I think if you are unsure about baking bread, or you try it, and don't like doing it from scratch, then get a bread machine.
I first tried some of the packaged bread mixes, and they turned out so terrible, that I almost gave up making bread, but then I tried making one of the recipes from the instruction book, and it came out terrific; so I strongly recommend not buying the mixes.

Reaction score
I think you should go for it! It's fun to make bread and there's no need to buy a bread machine right away. A simple piece of bread can be made with just flour, eggs, water, yeast, sugar and salt. Once you've gotten the loaf right, then you can make any other kind :)

Reaction score
I'm interested in learning "how to make different types of bread" but adding my twist to it. I want to make garlic breads, parmesan, and cheese breads. I was hoping someone could share their thoughts and ideas on this.

Reaction score
I would start out by making bread the old fashion way from scratch to see how you like it before investing in the bread making machine. I make my own bread for dinner parties and special occassions, but find that it is too much work just to do it for everyday use. Homemade bread tastes so much better than store bought and I like the idea of going for it the old fashion way if I am going to invest time to make the bread.

Reaction score
How about making rolls? They're not that far off from bread and they can be pretty simple and easy to start out with. My mom has this recipe in one of her cookbooks for some soft rolls but they're only super soft when they're fresh. After a day or two, I have to toast them to soften them up.
Right now, as I'm writing this, I have some honey wheat bread (half white, half wheat) rising for its first rising. You don't really need any bread machines as long as you have a good oven.

I'm interested in learning "how to make different types of bread" but adding my twist to it. I want to make garlic breads, parmesan, and cheese breads. I was hoping someone could share their thoughts and ideas on this.

Why don't you start by taking a basic bread recipe and putting shredded cheddar, minced fresh garlic or parmesan into it? Simple, easy. You don't have to have a specific bread type. You don't need to go to the trouble of making focaccia or Italian bread. I can take, for instance, your basic white bread but instead of a little of the milk, put an egg and some finely processed sweet onion. Instant challah bread. :)

Reaction score
There's some good advice here,especially on holding off on the bread machine- I was thinking about getting one a while back and decided not to! It does take more work though.

Reaction score
A bread machine is nice because you just pour in the ingredients in the order listed on the recipe, or pour in the mix. Start the machine and you are on your way. I prefer the old fashioned way of mixing the dough by hand and the kneading. The yeast makes the dough feel alive under your hands. I make both breads and pizza dough. One trick i learned early on in my bread making was to proof the yeast in room temperature water with a little sugar in it. Let it sit until it starts to get bubbly. That way you know your yeast is alive.

Reaction score
You might as well just jump right in. The first time I made bread was a simple, I just looked up a common sour dough recipe and threw it in a bread machine that my wife found at some yard sale, I think it is quite hilarious that is works so well too. Pretty sure I have heard people making the dough by hand though, probably get a better satisfaction in making it.

Ask a Question