Freezing cookies

Reaction score
Any one have experience with freezing cookies for a long period of time, for like longer than six months? I can't imagine doing this only because cookies wouldn't last long at my house lol but was just curious if they would keep well in that situation.

Reaction score
Cookies don't last long around my place but I would be concerned about freezing them for longer than six months. There are times I get an abundance throughout the holidays, (my own cookies and gifts ) but never freeze them longer than 3 to 4 months. I will be curious to see if anyone has experience in a longer freezing period.

Reaction score
Are we talking about freezing them baked or as balls of dough? I think dough would freeze better.

Reaction score
Are we talking about freezing them baked or as balls of dough? I think dough would freeze better.

I've done it as dough before, but whenever i've done it, it doesn't tend to last longer than a month without it tasting slightly odd when you come to cook it. It's still edible though.

Reaction score
What do you wrap them up in? Do you have a food saver machine? I use that on all of my freezer foods and it works great. I am never able to keep cookie dough around long enough so I have not tried that but I might give it a try this holiday season. If you don't have a food saver machine I would highly recommend checking into getting one.

Reaction score
I've been wanting to try this, but suffering from the "eat it ALL now" problem. I saw a posting someplace that suggested using ice cube trays for it.

Reaction score

This is a good point. We've done both; completed cookies and dough that was cut into circles. Most of the cookies held up fine, but some were real crumbly once unfrozen. The dough held up fine when we cut them to the right size, put them between two sheets of wax paper, and then placed them in the freezer.

Reaction score
The expanding and contracting of the moisture in the cookies from freezing them will change the texture of them if they are already cooked. That's probably why some people are complaining that the cookies crumble too easily once taken out of a freezer. I would rather just freeze the raw dough for later use. My friend, who bakes lots of christmas cookies to sell trays around the holidays freezes them until she is ready to assemble them into a tray, and I don't really care for what it does to the cookies themselves. Crispy cookies become dense and wet, and don't taste fresh.

Reaction score
I have never frozen cookies for too long. I start doing holiday baking 2-4 weeks ahead of time so I will freeze the cookies in a tightly sealed container with a sheet of waxed paper between layers. I freeze them for two reasons. To keep them fresh until the holiday gets closer and to get them out of sight from the "snackers" that will eat them as fast as they are baked.

I wouldn't recommend freezing them longer than a month. I haven't had any textural change to any of them in that time. Cookies never seem to freeze solid. I know people that will eat them straight from the freezer. :D I suppose it all depends on what type of cookie you are trying to freeze too.

Reaction score
I tend to bake my cookies and eat them up so I have never frozen them. I have had frozen cookie dough before but not for longer than six months.

Ask a Question