Fruitcake Aging Question

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I want to ask people's opinions about aging fruitcake. From the research I've done it seems that the common way to age a fruitcake is to wrap it in cheese cloth with your desired alcohol wrapped in plastic, then foil and then an airtight container.

Would there be any downside to wrapping the fruitcake in cheesecloth with alcohol and then in a vaccume sealed bag?(of course not super tight but just to get the air out). I can see there being the downside of not allowing the cake to breath but it also prevents spoilage and air to get to it.

I would really appreciate your help!
-Adam (San Francisco)

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I want to ask people's opinions about aging fruitcake. From the research I've done it seems that the common way to age a fruitcake is to wrap it in cheese cloth with your desired alcohol wrapped in plastic, then foil and then an airtight container.

Would there be any downside to wrapping the fruitcake in cheesecloth with alcohol and then in a vaccume sealed bag?(of course not super tight but just to get the air out). I can see there being the downside of not allowing the cake to breath but it also prevents spoilage and air to get to it.

I would really appreciate your help!
-Adam (San Francisco)

how does it breathe in an airtight container.?

the downside to vacuum is the cake is forced to collapse or condense, it might end up devoid of crumb and be more like dense pudding than cake.

a steamed pudding can be vac packed as theres not much aeration to condense.

commercially you're either going to freeze or,
for room temps , nitrogen seal in plastic.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vacuum-sealing your fruitcake along with cheesecloth and alcohol is generally not recommended for aging. While it may prevent spoilage and exposure to air, it eliminates the cake's ability to breathe and absorb the flavors from the alcohol properly. This can impact the texture and taste of the fruitcake. It's best to follow traditional methods to ensure optimal aging.

Ask a Question