Glaze doesn't harden

Reaction score
I have made glaze from the following ingredients:
  • 150 g (5.3 oz) melted butter
  • 6 tbs powdered sugar
  • 1 dl (0.42 cup) cocoa
  • 1 dl milk
For the butter I used soft butter that I normally use on bread. I have stored the glaze in fridge for an hour, but it doesn't harden.

Reaction score
Possible causes of this problem:

*Butter is too "soft" for this use.
*Butter has too much water in it.
*Not enough sugar or cocoa was used.

If the butter is a "soft" butter, then you shouldn't have used any milk, as "soft" butter is "soft" because it has extra water or milk in it to keep it from getting hard. Old butter will also do this sometimes, as the hardening agents in hard butter break down and "die" when heated or cooked.

Depending on your use of this glaze, I would suggest using one more teaspoon of sugar or cocoa at a time, until you get the consistency you want.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

There's a lot of liquid in that recipe, which might explain why it didn't harden. You could try decreasing the liquid or increasing the sugar / cocoa as ChesterV suggests.

What are you using the glaze for?

Reaction score
I'm no help because I don't even know what a dl is. I did however make a glaze the other day that didn't harden up as expected, even though I put it in the refrigerator. I added quite a bit more sugar than the recipe called for, in an attempt to firm it up, but ultimately, I decided to just enjoy it the way it is.

Ask a Question