Have you ever baked anything in the dishwasher?

Reaction score
I am sorry but just because you can do something does not mean you should . Something about this just seems so wrong and it is not anythig that I would like to try.

Reaction score
Ok...no offense to anyone but this sends huge EW factor running through my mind. On top of just feeling like it would be gross and not very clean, would it even be able to cook the food through? I really think this is a clear example of not necessarily needing to do everything that 'could' potentially be done, you know? I wouldn't try it.

Reaction score
The dishwasher? You have got to be kidding me, this doesn't seem like a good idea at all. It doesn't seem clean and wouldn't the water seep through the foil a little? It seems like a health warning, she didn't actually serve it, right? :eek:Soapy lasagna doesn't sound appetizing. What crazy person thought of this idea?

Reaction score
I have never heard of this before and I don't think I will be trying it anytime soon, that just sounds gross. I would be worried about the food getting completely soaked...although I understand that the idea would be to cover and seal it. Wouldn't the dish get contaminated with soap as well? This reminds me of a show I watched before in which this cheapskate couple has gone on a "fiscal fast" where they did not spend any of their money for a week. At some point during the week they scrounged around for change and purchased a goat head to eat for protein. I just kept thinking to myself that the amount of money they paid for the head (it was like $7.00) they could have gone to the grocery store and purchased a cheap cut of real meat!

Reaction score
Ok...no offense to anyone but this sends huge EW factor running through my mind. On top of just feeling like it would be gross and not very clean, would it even be able to cook the food through? I really think this is a clear example of not necessarily needing to do everything that 'could' potentially be done, you know? I wouldn't try it.

Yep, it does cook all the way through. If you think about it, the water for a dishwasher is set super high, so it's going to be almost like boiling or even steaming the food. The food stays completely covered, so none of the water or "ick factor" can touch the food, but it's still weird to think about

Reaction score
OMG :O I'm just shocked.. It's so innovative. How did I never think of this. Not sure about how safe it is though.. What if some detergent powder gets on the food? : /

Reaction score
That's up to you to make sure you have completely sealed the dish.

For example, aluminum foil packets should keep it out.

Dishwasher-Inside_92.jpg

Or in other closed containers like this:

DSC_0716.jpg

Reaction score
I actually heard about some 'recipe' where you put a Mars bar in a bottle together with some milk, to melt it or sth. I don't remember it completely, but the bottle sounds much more sensible to me than a foil-covered lasagna dish. I don't even have a dishwasher in my tiny apartment, but I presume there's a lot of water pressure in liquids and soap coming from all directions. No, this can't be a good idea.

Reaction score
I watch a TLC show called "Extreme Cheapskates". The craziest thing I have seen on this reality series are people baking a food item such as lasagna in their dishwasher. They normally put the food item on the top rack, covered with foil, and their dirty dishes on the bottom.

Have any of you ever done this?
On the one hand, that is pretty disgusting if you ask me.

On the other hand, I'm genuinely curious about this, since I can't imagine it comes out very well,or even properly cooks through. Sounds like it could be fairly dangerous. But I sort of want to try it as an experiment, you know?

Reaction score
Eeew this doesn't sound like a good idea! Did it actually work?

I don't think it worked because the woman's guests complained that the lasagna tasted like water. They documented other nasty cheapskate things that she did ,like scraping pasta sauce off someone's plate back into the jar, germs and all, to be used for another meal, and reusing the same pasta water to boil other pasta another day.
She was compulsively, psychotically cheap. Her kids must get some interesting Christmas gifts.

Reaction score
Yep, it does cook all the way through. If you think about it, the water for a dishwasher is set super high, so it's going to be almost like boiling or even steaming the food. The food stays completely covered, so none of the water or "ick factor" can touch the food, but it's still weird to think about

Part of what makes lasagna taste good is the browning/caramelization of the cheese on top, and you can't really get brown ,bubbly cheese in a dishwasher so I think it's kind of unappetizing, even if it is heated through.

Ask a Question