How do you re-work old baked goods?

Reaction score
In a few more days, any of the baked goods you prepared for Christmas will go stale. How do you re-work them in order to avoid tossing them in the trash? The main thing I do is turn them into french toast.

Any type of bread can be dipped in egg and fried up.

Reaction score
I agree with the french toast and I think bread pudding is another good way to use up old bread and rolls. You could use cake to make the type of cake pops that are made from cake crumbs and frosting.
Or you could use cake pieces in layers to make trifle.

Reaction score
Stale croissant pudding is delicious. Its basically croissant, eggs caramelised sugar and cream poured over them and baked. Try it with cakes. The recipe is somewhere in nigelka Lawson's website

Reaction score
Any types of breads I turn into French toast/bread pudding. I also do it with certain cakes which sometimes I will also use to make cake balls. If the bread has gone really hard also (like what we call water bread which turns somewhat hard in one day basically) I use it as bread crumbs for either baking chicken or to sprinkle over my mac and cheese.

Reaction score
There is wonderful dessert we make with hard bread, you can use almost any kind of bread, but it's better to use french bread:

recetas_restos_pan_duro.jpg

Then you get this:

capirotada_by_gaabriellablee-d5xaivk.jpg

You can also use this kind of bread:

maxresdefault.jpg

Then you can get this:

maxresdefault.jpg

It's the same dessert showing in the second pic, but this one is the white version and uses milk and strawberries. This one is my personal favorite, can't stand the first one to be honest.

Reaction score
It's a Mexican bread known as ''esponja'', it's not so hard to make, I got a great recipe for it, also recipes for those desserts. I might share them soon with you guys, the esponjas are really tasty!

Reaction score
I think it depends on what you're talking about. If it's something like bread, then yeah you can definitely make it into like a french toast or bread pudding of some kind. If it's cookies, especially sugar cookies, maybe you can crumble it up and put it on oatmeal instead of the regular sugar you use (since sugar cookies are pretty sweet anyway). For anything else though I don't have the slightest clue on how to re-purpose or re-work it!

Reaction score
In a few more days, any of the baked goods you prepared for Christmas will go stale. How do you re-work them in order to avoid tossing them in the trash? The main thing I do is turn them into french toast.

That's a great idea! I would think you could also put them into a waffle maker. Or, if you let them go completely stale, run it through a food processor, mix with melted butter and use it as a crust. Works very well with Christmas cookies too.

Reaction score

I throw cookies into a food processor and then use them to make some very delicious pie crusts or crust for cheesecake. Also makes a great sprinkle for other desserts.

Bread pudding is another idea for any bread type desserts.

Also, if you have cake, cut it up, put in a greased baking pan, make some hot fudge or some flavored pudding, and pour over it with some whipped cream.

Ask a Question