How old were you when you first started baking?

Reaction score
For me it was the mixture getting my first Easy Bake Oven at age five and watching my father cook in the kitchen everyday.
When I was nine I baked my first boxed cake. My mother didn't trust me to follow the recipe from scratch. lol
It's been fun ever since.

What got you interested in baking and how old were you?

Reaction score
I was quite young around 7-8 years old. I always loved looking at my baking mother and the things that she made to eat were just delicious. I enjoy them until now. I will never be as good as her. :)

Reaction score
I started baking pies with my mom when I was 6 or 7. I soon branched out with my Betty Crocker's Cookbook for Boys and Girls and my Cooky Cookbook and made pretzels, pizza, cookies, brownies and cakes.

Betty+Crocker's+Cookbook+for+Boys+and+Girls.jpg
cooky-book.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
God, I don't even know for sure if I'm being honest. I know I was young. I'm going to guess that I was roughly three or so? Had to stand on one of our kitchen chairs in order to actually do anything, which I remember really annoyced me, as I had limited mobility, unless I got down, got someone to move the chair for me, and climbed back up again.

Reaction score
I also had an easy bake oven! But I would say the first time actually baking was around 7. My mom would let me make cookies but I would always have to come get her to crack the eggs... I guess she didn't want shells in them.

Reaction score
Wow to put a age to it is a bit hard as i can remember being in the kitchen from a tender age hanging on my grandmothers skirts.

Reaction score
I think I started baking when I was around 10 or so. I remember watching cartoon characters baking on the show, and I wanted to emulate them. Also, I wanted to impress my family and friends by baking cookies and cakes.

Reaction score
I don't remember what age I started baking at, but I am guessing it might have been in my teens. I was more of an early cook, but with the baking I was much more of a helper.

I have been a sporadic baker over the years, but now I am in this forum, I am baking more. I was a veteran cake box baker, but I am gradually getting into baking from scratch.

Reaction score
I think I must have been about five or six years old. I used to help my parents at the weekends and add the chocolate as we used cooking chocolate and then we I used to help pour the mixture into the cake cups and arrange them on the baking trays. My parents baked every week and my brother and I would fight to help.

Reaction score
I didn't start baking until late. My parents didn't really bake, but my aunt did and when I lived with her at like...10 or 11 we started baking because she would make homemade apple bread and banana bread and stuff. We would make stuff out of the box too, but that's right about the time when I started baking.

Reaction score
I had a dysfunctional childhood and my mother wasn't much of a cook, so I didn't start baking until I was a teen in foster care. I made cookies and apple fritters. I was about 15 years old.

Reaction score
I was very young when I first started helping out, actually seriously baking maybe 7 or 8. Though I didn't get too active in the kitchen until years later unfortunately, my family was a bit dysfunctional as well and I wasn't really encouraged to be in the kitchen at all :/.

Reaction score
I really started baking when I got my Easy Bake oven as well. I loved that thing! When I started to get older, I took an interest in baking and so my mom let me loose in the kitchen when I was about 13. I made chocolate chip cookies and Irish Soda bread. The bread was for a school project I was working on at the time.

Reaction score
I started baking when I was I think 8 years old. I started out with chocolate chip cookies, biscuits, and brownies. It wasn't until I was older, around 10 years old when I started to do breads and cakes.

Reaction score
I don't know. I remember helping my granny when I was little.....probably about 4 years old?

Reaction score
If were talking helping, like helping to mix the batter and decorating cookies, I would say around the age of 7. That's probably the earliest I could remember helping my mom make Christmas cookies. We would bake them out of a home made cookie dough recipe, and use molds of candy canes, gingerbread men, Christmas trees, and Santa Claus. Then we'd add to the cookies a homemade frosting my mom would make, and cover them with sprinkles.

Ask a Question