how to distribute cheese and chiles

Reaction score
Hi,
Am not much of a baker but have tried the "almost no knead recipe" and love it with cheddar cheese and New Mexican green chiles.

Before the final rise, I flatten the dough by hand and distribute about half of 4 oz of cheddar in 3/8" cubes and 1/2 cup of chopped chiles. I then fold in thirds several times, flatten and add remaining cheese and chiles evenly distributed. The fold in thirds and then shape into a ball for final rise.

Problem is - despite my best efforts, the chiles and cheese are not evenly distributed - they seem to clump together and there are some slices without either. Does not appear to be gravity since come of the clumps are just below the top crust.

So, the question is - how can I get the chiles and cheese evenly distributed throughout the loaf?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Add more of each or chop them up more finely would be my guess.

As far as even distribution in bread making.........even pro's have issues with that.
You might look on Youtube for some professional bread makers and see if they have advice on this.

Reaction score
Hi,
Am not much of a baker but have tried the "almost no knead recipe" and love it with cheddar cheese and New Mexican green chiles.

Before the final rise, I flatten the dough by hand and distribute about half of 4 oz of cheddar in 3/8" cubes and 1/2 cup of chopped chiles. I then fold in thirds several times, flatten and add remaining cheese and chiles evenly distributed. The fold in thirds and then shape into a ball for final rise.

Problem is - despite my best efforts, the chiles and cheese are not evenly distributed - they seem to clump together and there are some slices without either. Does not appear to be gravity since come of the clumps are just below the top crust.

So, the question is - how can I get the chiles and cheese evenly distributed throughout the loaf?

Thanks.

Whenever you add any bulky item (seeds, dried fruit, nuts, etc.) into a dough, then knead or fold, you tear the gluten network apart. It's a structural issue. Every time you do that triple fold, over and over again, you're destroying more and more of the gluten network. Once you sever that gluten network, it won't reform around the mix-ins. With little gluten structure to hold the heavy mix-ins in place, they fall into a clump.

Try patting out the dough. Spread your add-ins evenly over the entire top of the dough. Then roll it up as you would a cinnamon roll. Slice into equal portions. Unflavored, unwaxed dental floss works great for slicIng. Then gently form each portion into a ball, taking care not to apply much pressure so you don't tear the gluten network. You might also try coarsely grating the cheese instead of cutting into chunks.

Last edited:

Ask a Question