I Can't Wait Until the Fall Arrives!

Reaction score
I made my first applesauce last week. It was delicious! None of it went into the freezer, as I shared it at a family dinner. I started another batch yesterday and will mill it today and put it into the freezer. And I'll just keep going along like that, as time allows, till the apples are gone.

Reaction score
LOL! That is funny about the tree! But, I'm sure you didn't think so at the time!!! ;-) We have an artificial tree - but they sure make them look realistic! But, we've had it since the kids were little. It is still in good shape but we talk every year about getting a new one. We also have a bunch of lights that don't work on it anymore and we get so tired of having to wrap and rewrap the lights! Such a big project and I really hate having to do it!!! :0 When I can I try to have my son help my husband with that part and then my daughter and I are the ones that decorate it! Good thing I have her around for another 4 years - at least to help me or I would be doing it alone!!! Not sure why, but my husband just doesn't like to decorate it!!! I guess it is ok! LOL :)

Reaction score
I made my first applesauce last week. It was delicious! None of it went into the freezer, as I shared it at a family dinner. I started another batch yesterday and will mill it today and put it into the freezer. And I'll just keep going along like that, as time allows, till the apples are gone.

Good for you! I think some good homemade applesauce would fit the bill right now. Do you ever dehydrate them?

Reaction score
LOL! That is funny about the tree! But, I'm sure you didn't think so at the time!!! ;-) We have an artificial tree - but they sure make them look realistic! But, we've had it since the kids were little. It is still in good shape but we talk every year about getting a new one. We also have a bunch of lights that don't work on it anymore and we get so tired of having to wrap and rewrap the lights! Such a big project and I really hate having to do it!!! :0 When I can I try to have my son help my husband with that part and then my daughter and I are the ones that decorate it! Good thing I have her around for another 4 years - at least to help me or I would be doing it alone!!! Not sure why, but my husband just doesn't like to decorate it!!! I guess it is ok! LOL :)

LOL another light keeper huh? We keep the strings that don't work and try to replace the bulbs in them. Hubby is patient like that and does a pretty good job. Our decorating is different every year. Sometimes he helps and other times I do it all. He does like to put the lights on more than I do.

Reaction score
My mother-in-law makes applesauce every year too! My hubby and kids inhale it! I don't care for it and I'm not sure why. I usually like applesauce. It may be because it is a chunkier version. We tried to freeze some of it and when it was thawed my daughter said it tasted awful. :( I think maybe it is because she uses splenda instead of sugar? Does anyone know if that would affect the taste after freezing? It seemed weird that it would because you wouldn't think it would matter. She also makes some yummy apple pies! I'm too lazy to make them because I can't stand how much work it is to get the apples ready. We actually lent her our apple corer permanently!!! LOL

Reaction score
Good for you! I think some good homemade applesauce would fit the bill right now. Do you ever dehydrate them?

Shellyann36, I never have dehydrated them. I don't have the equipment to dehydrate and have never tried it in the oven. I guess I just love the applesauce so much I don't think about using them in other ways. I'd much rather have a serving of applesauce than a piece of apple pie, in most cases.

Reaction score
I am so excited that pumpkin-flavored everything is finally here! My fiance and I have been drinking pumpkin coffee like it's going out of style! I even saw that Chex Mix has a pumpkin-flavored mix, so I kind of want to try that as well, though I'm skeptical as to how it may taste. I also saw a sign for pumpkin ice cream, and this preggo is definitely going to try that!

Reaction score
Shellyann36, I never have dehydrated them. I don't have the equipment to dehydrate and have never tried it in the oven. I guess I just love the applesauce so much I don't think about using them in other ways. I'd much rather have a serving of applesauce than a piece of apple pie, in most cases.

I have dehydrated some but not very many. Unfortunately they never seem to go very far because everyone eats them up so quickly. It is much more efficient money wise to make applesauce or apple pie filling with them when I get them.

Reaction score
I have dehydrated some but not very many. Unfortunately they never seem to go very far because everyone eats them up so quickly. It is much more efficient money wise to make applesauce or apple pie filling with them when I get them.

So, based on your comment I decided to try making some apple pie filling. I have my first-event batch cooling on the stove and will soon be putting it into my freezer! Thanks for the inspiration.

I had so many apples I ended up with enough to make another batch of applesauce as well. Time to start taking some to gatherings! I am NOT complaining, though, since last fall I had NO apples on my trees (early, hot weather in the spring, then a freeze killed the blossoms.) so it's a pleasure that this year we have a bumper crop!

Reaction score
I agree with all of this. The flavors of fall are full of warmth and buttery sweet deliciousness. It's a season that makes you want to be cozy, and what is cozier than dessert?! :)

Reaction score
I agree with all of this. The flavors of fall are full of warmth and buttery sweet deliciousness. It's a season that makes you want to be cozy, and what is cozier than dessert?! :)

Well, I have to say I love a cozy pot of soup, followed by dessert! But at this time of year I find myself doing BOTH!! :) (I'm so glad I don't have to choose between the two! LOL)

Reaction score
I'm very much on the same page with you....not only is it more enjoyable to bake and eat warm, comforting food when it isn't hot out, but I just find myself so much happier around this time of year! I'm also a huge fan of the cliche flavours....pumpkin everything. Spiced apple. Sage around Thanksgiving. Gingerbread. Sooo much to love :).

Reaction score
I am absolutely miserable in the summer, I can't stand the heat at all. I usually stay indoors most of the time with my air cranked all the way up. That is why I love the fall. The light is more diffused by the clouds, so you can see the colors of everything around you more richly, and the sun isn't glaring harshly into your eyes. I also love that I can actually open the windows in my place to let some cool, dry fresh air in. No humidity or bugs or fumes from people's cars and lawnmowers and crap like that.

I can actually start slow roasting stuff in the fall too, without worrying about it making my place uncomfortably hot. I prefer to slow roast in my oven, because I like the variety of texture it adds to the meats.

Reaction score
Well, I have to say I love a cozy pot of soup, followed by dessert! But at this time of year I find myself doing BOTH!! :) (I'm so glad I don't have to choose between the two! LOL)
You know what, I hadn't even thought of soup since this is a baking forum. xD Soup is really one of my favorite things though, and there are so many GREAT fall soups out there! Both is ideal, I agree. :p

Reaction score
Speaking of fall and desserts...I recently harvested my pumpkins, all of which grew from one plant. That one plant produced 17 lovely pumpkins! Bonus: it was just a pumpkin I tossed on my compost pile last fall. (and it was GIVEN to me, which makes it all the sweeter.) Anyway, I ramble. Picture below. Fall has arrived, although it's been quite a pleasure to watch these little friends grow throughout the summer. I'd actually just planned to use them for decoration (have already given several away with that intent.) but someone suggested using them for food. So I looked up processing pumpkin today, as I've never done it before. I think there will be some homemade, pumpkin flavored desserts in my near future! :)

Attachments

• 2013-09-28 18.09.13.jpg
    2013-09-28 18.09.13.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 452
Reaction score
Speaking of fall and desserts...I recently harvested my pumpkins, all of which grew from one plant. That one plant produced 17 lovely pumpkins! Bonus: it was just a pumpkin I tossed on my compost pile last fall. (and it was GIVEN to me, which makes it all the sweeter.) Anyway, I ramble. Picture below. Fall has arrived, although it's been quite a pleasure to watch these little friends grow throughout the summer. I'd actually just planned to use them for decoration (have already given several away with that intent.) but someone suggested using them for food. So I looked up processing pumpkin today, as I've never done it before. I think there will be some homemade, pumpkin flavored desserts in my near future! :)
17 pumpkins from one plant? That's so great! I'll have to look into growing pumpkins next year! :D

Ask a Question