Am i the only one who can't stand the red velvet craze?

Reaction score
Red Velvet lovers, just what do you see in the flavor? I don't get it. You use a small amount of cocoa, and a huge amount of artificial coloring. The cake is usually dry and flavorless. Sure the cream cheese frosting makes up for a lot, but not enough in my opinion. What's the appeal?

Reaction score
It has been years since I tasted a red velvet cake. I did not like it and did not understand why others love it. Maybe it was that particular cake but I think I will stick to the traditional chocolate cake or white cake.

However, I do love carrot cake and spice cake once in a while. :p

Reaction score
I haven't had much Red Velvet cake, but I remember liking it. It was kind of plain, but it had thick icing, so I was happy. I'm easy to please, though. If it's got chocolate in it, I'm in.

Reaction score
The first time I tasted Red Velvet cake was when my sister-in-law bought them for my son's birthday. I was so afraid of the awful lot of red colorings that I think I might die from ingesting the chemicals. I let out a sigh of relief when she said that the red velvet color is from beetroot juice. I find that there is nothing special about the cake. The only thing that makes me crazy is the cream cheese frosting...so yummy!:)

Reaction score
I tasted a red velvet cake from a bakery that is no longer in service. The cake was very good. However, I've have stayed away from food coloring for a while now. I honestly like to find a way to make it without it.

Reaction score
I don't think you're the only one, I think there is a lot of hype about red velvet cake but like you say it can be dry and tasteless!

Until recently I've never made it, but here's my attempt: Red Velvet Cake

It was really delicious! Very moist (from the buttermilk I think), but you do have to close your mind to the amount of colouring that goes into it!

Reaction score
Most of the red velvet cake I have had has been moist and delicious. I suppose it is a preferred tasted. The box mixes are usually terrible. It is one of those cakes that taste a lot better homemade; that short cuts usually don't work on.

Reaction score
The first red velvet cake I ever tried was GROSS! It was dry and crumbly. I hated the color. The frosting was a bit hard. Ewww.

Fast-forward to eight months later and someone's trying to offer me a red velvet cupcake? I was like "Oh, no thanks." but they kept pushing. I am so glad they did! It was absolutely delicious; moist, sweet-but-not-too-sweet, had cream cheese filling inside and vanilla frosting on the top! It was perfection! I've tried more red velvet since then (and even made some from box mixes) and they've all been great. Maybe you've just had some bad batches??

Jeanne90: Thank you for posting about the coloring! I had no idea what made it red. That makes lots of sense.

Reaction score
I have a friend that just loves Red Velvet cake, and she waits for any excuse to make it, or even makes cupcakes with the recipe, just to have it.
I have never tasted it, but I did think it looked really pretty, with the dark red color, and I like the idea of coloring it with beet juice, which is a superfood, and one of the best blood purifiers there is. Of course, if you put it in a cake, that is kind of defeating the purpose , I guess....
My most favorite cake is a chocolate one that is so dark, it looks almost black, and so rich that you can only eat a few bites, but it is totally delicious !

Reaction score
I love yellow cake, I have never been a red velvet fan. I just don't care for the flavor, only the icing. Red Velvet just sounds nice, sometimes it can all be in the name, or people truly love it.

Reaction score
Every red velvet cake I have had uses cream cheese icing so I am no fan. For whatever reason I like cream cheese icing on carrot cake but nothing else.

Reaction score
I used to really like red velvet cake when I was younger, but now that I've actually made one myself I'm just not all that impressed with it anymore. I was disappointed to discover that there usually really isn't very much cocoa in red velvet cake at all, and that it's mostly just red food dye. That said, I got picky when I decided to bake a red velvet cake and I used a recipe that called for more cocoa and actually used canned beets chopped up in the blender to give it more of a red hue, and the red food dye was optional -- THAT was good red velvet cake! It had lots of flavor, and not so much artificial nonsense.

Reaction score
I've always loved red velvet cake, it just has a taste for me that is hard to find fault in. I don't think it appeals to everyone though, because it is very rich tasting. I would like to try to make my own red velvet cake sometime, and see how it compares to the shop brand that I have bought over the years.

Reaction score
I know it's just chocolate, but I don't LOVE the taste. It does, however, remind me of my great grandma, so that makes me happy. Such a vintage cake!

Reaction score
I don't get it either!!!! I think they're pretty but I've never cared for the flavor. I've tasted only ONE red velvet cake that I cared for and I think it was the toppings that did that for me! Give me a plain old chocolate cake any day!

Reaction score
I don't think red velvet cake is bad, I've had some good ones. I just don't get why it's become a national obsession. I find it annoying when foods become too trendy.
Hipsters almost ruined bacon for me by turning it into a fad. I kind of rolled my eyes when I walked into Walmart and one whole section of the bakery was just red velvet baked goods, even cookies.

Reaction score
I love red velvet cake- I made some pretty popular Choc velvet cupcakes recently that went down a treat!

Reaction score
I love red velvet cake and I'm not sure why. Perhaps it's the combination of the creme cheese frosting that usually goes along with the cake. However, I'm not a big fan of the red food coloring. Instead, I like to use sweet beets to give the cake a beautiful red color! It adds a bit of nutrition to the cake and natural sweetening!

Reaction score
I am 34 years old and my stepmother has always made the best red velvet cakes, since I can remember. I love the icing and the cake, hers hardly even tasted like cocoa and is sooooo moist. But, I have never really thought about just how much food coloring is in the cake. Not sure that it will be my favorite anymore.

Reaction score
Red velvet cake is decent but I really don't see what the big deal is. I've had some good ones but certainly nothing to write home about. I guess it's just another one of those food fads. We'll see how long it lasts.

Ask a Question