I miss baking cakes

Reaction score
I am on a diet at the moment, just trying to loose a bit if weight and I have lost 6 kg so far just a bit more and I am done.

I am however so missing baking , I recently took to baking and all my bakes were successful. I haven't baked anything in a while except last week u baked carrot cake upin my husband's request. I haven't really found any low fat nice recipes yet either.

Pointless post just needed to share this. :(

Reaction score
Don't be sad! Look at this diet of yours as an opportunity to experiment with healthy baking.
There are so many resources online. Recipe collections like http://healthyaperture.com/ will lead you to tons of healthy cooking blogs.
There are lists of healthier substitutions: http://greatist.com/health/healthy-baking-recipe-substitutions-infographic
http://greatist.com/health/83-healthy-recipe-substitutions
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/262405115758034099/ (Greek yogurt! magic ingredient! my favorite.)
And don't forget about good ol' Pinterest searches for "healthy baking", etc.
Have fun and don't be blue!

Reaction score
You could also try baking diebetic cakes and pastries as well as those usually contain no sugar and are healthier for you. When my mom was dieting, she would make desserts from the Joanna Lund "Healthy Exchanges Cookbook." The recipies are really good and do not really taste like they are supposed to be good for you.

Reaction score
I am on a diet at the moment, just trying to loose a bit if weight and I have lost 6 kg so far just a bit more and I am done.

I am however so missing baking , I recently took to baking and all my bakes were successful. I haven't baked anything in a while except last week u baked carrot cake upin my husband's request. I haven't really found any low fat nice recipes yet either.

Pointless post just needed to share this. :(

What do you like about baking that you miss it so much? I ask because, if it's the part where you get to decorate it with icing and eat it after then that's not good for your diet. But if you like baking because you like to transform ingredients into something new, then perhaps something like scones would be a healthier alternative to cake. Or even baking some savory foods, such as herb meat roasts or fish.

Reaction score
What do you like about baking that you miss it so much? I ask because, if it's the part where you get to decorate it with icing and eat it after then that's not good for your diet. But if you like baking because you like to transform ingredients into something new, then perhaps something like scones would be a healthier alternative to cake. Or even baking some savory foods, such as herb meat roasts or fish.

I think it is a bit of everything I miss, when I first got into baking I was baking twice a week or I would bake as soon as the first bake was gone. Now I bake once every few weeks. I love it when the bakes turn out well because baking is precision and accuracy.

I should do things like scones too! As for savoury things, I already cook very well and am a foodie trying out new things all the time.

With my bakes I still will treat myself with a piece of whatever but it is always within my calorie allowance. I think the frequency is not there anymore and that too got to me.

Reaction score
I think it is a bit of everything I miss, when I first got into baking I was baking twice a week or I would bake as soon as the first bake was gone. Now I bake once every few weeks. I love it when the bakes turn out well because baking is precision and accuracy.

With my bakes I still will treat myself with a piece of whatever but it is always within my calorie allowance. I think the frequency is not there anymore and that too got to me.

Are you on a no-carb diet? Because perhaps you can have a go at some homemade bread, a brioche or sesame / poppy seed hot dog bun... here's a recipe on these very forums for Amish white bread (although when I pondered turning them into bagels, I meant boiling them prior to baking, not instead of), and I recently brainstormed a bran banana bread/muffin naked cake but you can just leave off the filling (and warn you, it's just an armchair recipe, I haven't actually baked the thing yet.)

Reaction score
Thanks Ellyn! I am just watching what i eat no restrictions like carbs or anything. I am not even overweight just want to bring my bmi down a bit and due to my sweet tooth the easiest way would be to eliminate cakes for a bit lol. I am fasting too as it's ramadhan and once I at my goal weight or when I think it's enough I can be normal again. I will then adapt the islamic etiquette of eating and forget all the calorie lark too hahaha

Oh I do love brioche rolls too and used to bring many but never actually baked them myself.

Ask a Question