Is it possible to add liquor to a buttercream frosting without that it goes grainy?

Reaction score
It's not that I'm an alcoholic, really. I have a very good reason for asking: the cupcakes I enjoy the most making are the chocolate and mint cupcakes. At home, I had a small dose of peppermint flavor, a drop or two gave my whole mix of frosting a very nice taste, the perfect fresh and minty taste to the dark chocolate cakes!

Now, I live in a place where I cannot find *anywhere* this sort of artificial aroma/essence. The solution I found is to put some Mint Liquor in the frosting, it gives it taste and color, and the liquor in itself tastes pretty good!

That said, I tried this two times, and if the taste was there, it completely put off the texture of my frosting. Instead of being smooth and buttery, the whole thing became grainy. The people who had the cupcakes said it was still yummy, but... Well. I am not satisfied with that!

I wonder if there is a way I can make this work. Adding more butter, cream, or sugar did not save it. Maybe it's about the timing? Quantity? Or should I just give up the idea in general? (I hope not! My favorite cupcakes!)

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hmm...I'll have to consider this one a little. It could be a matter of quantity if even altering the ingredients didn't seem to have ANY effect on the texture. I'm sure there's a way to get it smoother, perhaps you do need to give it a bit more time to settle out?

Ask a Question