Possible to convert liquid food coloring to paste to color marzipan?

Reaction score
Urgent! I just promised my neighbor that I would make an Easter cake with her two children tonight. She asked me if I would do it. I have traditionally made an Easter garden cake with tiny marzipan vegetables. I always used paste food coloring to prevent ruining the texture of the marzipan. I live in the woods right now and cannot get to a store that sells paste colors. When I looked through my decorating collection, I realized that I didn't bring my paste colors with me. All I have is liquid! Is it possible to convert the liquid to a paste? Is there some way to reduce it and add a thickening ingredient that would work?

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

There's no way I know of to do that, but maybe instead you could dilute them a little and paint the finished pieces? Might work but never tried it.

Alternatively if you have the ingredients to make marzipan then do that - just don't add all the liquid. I much prefer homemade to store bought.

Hope it goes well! Let us know how you get on.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

There's no way I know of to do that, but maybe instead you could dilute them a little and paint the finished pieces? Might work but never tried it.

Alternatively if you have the ingredients to make marzipan then do that - just don't add all the liquid. I much prefer homemade to store bought.

Hope it goes well! Let us know how you get on.
Thank you, Becky! I was pretty sure this would be the answer. The girls are coming over for a couple of hours and we are going to make very simple things like tiny carrots and corn in the husk, with plain marzipan. The dirt will be easy. Then, we will paint with the liquid colors. I do have almond flour but it is not the kind that was made with blanched, peeled almonds - so there are little flecks of brown almond skin in it that I think would ruin the colors. This will be a challenge! Plenty of chocolate to grate for dirt, though. And decorator tips to pipe fun designs on the sides. Like.........a picket fence!

This looks like a fun forum! Glad I joined and thank you so much for your response.

Susan

Reaction score
Thank you, Becky! I was pretty sure this would be the answer. The girls are coming over for a couple of hours and we are going to make very simple things like tiny carrots and corn in the husk, with plain marzipan. The dirt will be easy. Then, we will paint with the liquid colors. I do have almond flour but it is not the kind that was made with blanched, peeled almonds - so there are little flecks of brown almond skin in it that I think would ruin the colors. This will be a challenge! Plenty of chocolate to grate for dirt, though. And decorator tips to pipe fun designs on the sides. Like.........a picket fence!

This looks like a fun forum! Glad I joined and thank you so much for your response.

Susan

Thats the spirit! the kids will have a blast just making stuff. My little niece insists we bake every time I go to her house. It really makes nice memories for both of us. Welcome to the forum

Reaction score
You're welcome, Susan! Hope it all went well. Great to have you here on the forum :)

Ask a Question