Is it possible to make tasty frosting with low or no sugar?

Reaction score
I've been thinking about trying it with Splenda or something, but I don't know. I need to find a way to make good frosting, or some sort of tasty topping for cakes that isn't so loaded with sugar. If anybody has tried making frosting with a sugar substitute, I'd love to hear about the results or any other ideas that might work.

Reaction score
I have never tried making frosting with anything besides real sugar. I do not like the taste of Splenda and all of the other sugar substitutes in the world, so I don't imagine I would like a frosting made with them. I know there are some diabetic baking books out there and they would probably have no sugar frosting included.

Reaction score
I've seen many recipes, but I'm hoping for some personal experiences. One of my loved ones needs to avoid sugar for health reasons, so I don't have many choices.

Too many of the frosting recipes I've seen online include pudding, which also turns out with the consistency of pudding, which my sugar cutting person does not like. I wonder if there is a way to use the sugar free pudding for flavor without making the frosting have the consistency of pudding. I guess I'll have to experiment.

Reaction score
You could try Stevia, splenda tastes bad and it is so bad for the health. You can pull it off! I'm sure, Stevia has a very natural and nice flavour, but try to find the kind of stevia that is only stevia extract and has no added chemicals...

Reaction score
There are so many sweeteners these days that it's hard to keep up. I did read that you can make your own powdered sugar substitute using dry milk, cornstarch, and sweetener. That might work.

Reaction score
There are so many sweeteners these days that it's hard to keep up. I did read that you can make your own powdered sugar substitute using dry milk, cornstarch, and sweetener. That might work.

I'll second this one. There are plenty of other ways, some more natural than others, to sweeten things. I imagine there are ways to make it tasty without going directly to sugar, but it may take some tinkering.

Ask a Question