Jumbo Muffins

Reaction score
Hi everyone, New user here.
So I have a jumbo muffin tin that makes 6 muffins, but every recipe I've tried they never come out as good as a bakery muffin. I'm fairly experienced with cakes, pies etc. Not looking to reinvent the wheel, just a good reliable recipe. Any ideas, links appreciated.

Reaction score
Hi everyone, New user here.
So I have a jumbo muffin tin that makes 6 muffins, but every recipe I've tried they never come out as good as a bakery muffin. I'm fairly experienced with cakes, pies etc. Not looking to reinvent the wheel, just a good reliable recipe. Any ideas, links appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. The reason you’re homemade versions are not like the bakery muffins is bakeries use commercial mixes that contain emulsifiers, mainly mono and diglycerides. With muffins the mixing method is such there is no emulsification of the fat and liquid. Unlike cake batter where egg is beaten into the butter, to create an emulsion, then milk and flour is alternately mixed into it, with muffins all wet and dry ingredients are mixed separately and then combined. No emulsion is ever created. With homemade muffins an oil based batter is best. And smaller muffin is better.

Reaction score
Thanks! It was driving me crazy. I'll take your advice.

I don’t make muffins often for the very reason it’s impossible to create bakery quality at home. I do have a recipe I created a couple years ago. It is butter-based but it’s pretty decent if you don’t overbake it.

It’s scaled for a regular muffin tin

Blueberry Muffins

300g (2 ½ cups) all-purpose flour, measured by dip and sweep method

14g (1 tbsp) baking powder

7g (1 tsp) baking soda

2g (½ tsp) salt

113g (½ cup ) unsalted butter, melted and cooled

200g (1 cup) sugar

100g (2 large) eggs

240g (1 cup) buttermilk or whole milk

15g (1 tbsp) vanilla extract

200g (2 cups) blueberries (fresh or frozen)

For the streusel topping

80g flour

80g almond flour

80g sugar

80g butter

1. Press butter into sugar and flour using your fingers. Sprinkle with water and rake with fork until the streusel forms a crumb like texture
  2. Place in freezer for 10 mins until firm

Muffins
  1. Preheat oven to 425°F
  2. 325°F
  3. Line 12 cup muffin tin with baking liners.
  4. Prepare the streusel topping by mixing all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
  5. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Set aside.
  6. In a medium bowl, whisk the melted butter with the sugar, add the eggs, mix, then add the milk and vanilla, mix again.
  7. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and gently combine using a rubber spatula until moistened. Fold in the blueberries until just incorporated.
  8. Divide the batter into the 12 muffin cups, top with streusel
  9. Bake for 5 minutes at 425°F,
  10. Reduce the heat to 375°F and bake for another 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
  11. Transfer to a rack and cool five minutes
  12. Remove muffins from the tin and completely cool.
These are sprinkled with sanding sugar, not the streusel topping. This will give you an idea of how they bake up.
7F7E956F-DE72-435D-AD56-67C3E287E8ED.jpeg

Ask a Question