KitchenAid ProLine or Commercial

Reaction score
I'm actually a little dismayed about some of these commercial countertop mixers' specs. The Globes both look rugged, physically, but their rated capacities are about the same as KA 600 when it comes to dough. Less in some instances. Same for Vollrath's machine. They may have higher duty cycles, but they may not be any more performant.

Weird, but the 5qt globe is rated for 50% MORE dough than the 8 quart for 55% AR doughs. But rated for 50% less than the 8qt on pasta dough. 2lb? That's not great at all! The Globe 5 qt costs a bit less than KA commercial 8 qt, the Globe 8 qt costs a decent chunk more. The Vollrath is between the two.

Still makes me wonder about true spiral mixers for the larger heavier doughs. Planetaries have to get too big before they really catch up in raw power. Hausler & Famag look like they make some tiny beasts.....but of course it's a one trick pony. Dough and only dough. Hard to justify counter space for that in a home setting. Not the easiest justification in a commercial setting either.

I knew a shop owner that, a good 14 years ago was running the whole shop on 3 KA 600s. No NSF rating but that was ok (at least at the time.) No doughs there, or very little, but lots of mixed batches of various fillings, sauces, creams etc. And that was back in the plastic gearbox era of the 600 - they're beefier now, and now the 7 & 8 quart units are still heavier duty. It's a weird product lineup now.

Reaction score
Any machine, commercial or otherwise, it's toughest job is probably making dough. Probably the reason why instructions limit the user as to how much dough can be made with the machine. True, a commercial machine is NSF-rated, but there ARE certain restrictions that might apply.

Reaction score
Hobart mixers are very durable, But they are so ridiculously priced, such as the N-50. That machine is so overly priced, even a used one will break the bank on you!! And it only has a 5-qt work bowl!! $2,000 or over is definitely a lot of money for a 5-qt mixer!!!!

Reaction score
when my virus check gets here I'll have plenty of cash, I can offer you $350 for that old beaten up missing attachments mixer.

It's not missing any attachments now. I've replaced them all! I plan to sand it a little, re-paint the top, re-glaze it to make it look brand spanking new again!! No wonder you want the Sp08 mixer. It DOES have lots of quality in it, along with a powerful induction motor, which has no carbon brushes to have to replace at all!

The best thing about a Globe mixer is that none of them are tilt-head mixers!! They are very solid & trouble-free. I've never heard that any of them will give you any trouble!! I will never buy a non-commercial mixer again!! Not ever! :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a KitchenAid Pro 600 and want to upgrade to either a ProLine 7-qt or the commercial NSF Certified 8-qt. Are there any disadvantages to going with the 8-qt commercial?

One rep at the commercial support line said they "didn't recommend" using the standard attachments on the front hub, even though the docs say it's standard and accommodates everything. I have lots of attachments (pasta, extruder, juicer, meat grinder, etc), and they're key to my usage of the machine. Her comment about "not recommending" them made no sense.

When I emailed the support line, *that* rep said it was simply that the attachments were not NSF certified, which makes total sense. I don't care about this -- I'm a home hobbyist. But, wanna make sure there are no *real* issues with using attachments with the big 8-qt unit.

And, fundamentally, if there are thoughts on the ProLine vs NSF.

Thanks much in advance.
I'm looking into doing the same upgrade. Which one did you decide to go with?

Reaction score
20201123_211557~2.jpg

Here's what it looks like now!! I repainted it to get rid of the scratches!!!!

Reaction score
Interested in the KA 8 qt vs 7 qt standing mixer.Can you list 3-5 differences that would help define each and my decision.Maybe start with motor, power cord , etc..Thanks

Reaction score
If going into that price range , I like the globe 8 qt gear driven, it looks like it uses an AC motor running constant speed, relying on gears for the 3 speed ranges rather than a variable DC motor.
Costs more but I prefer gear driven myself.
I don't see you gaining much upgrading to 7 qt.

Yes. It DOES have a single-speed induction motor & a gear-change lever. But the manual tells you NOT to change speeds with it on! Always press the red (off) button before changings speeds to avoid damaging the gears. :eek:

Ask a Question