Lemon and cardamom cookies plus a new cookbook

Reaction score
It was my birthday on Monday, and I got some rocket cookie cutters from a friend! I've been meaning to try out @Angie CupcakeQueen's sugar cookie recipe, so this felt like the ideal opportunity. I added ground cardamom instead of vanilla, and topped them with lemon icing.

Here is the recipe converted into weight:

225g butter
200g granulated sugar
1 egg
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
385g plain flour
Seeds from 20 cardamom pods, ground

Icing made from icing sugar and lemon juice (orange juice would also work well)

I followed the approach described by Angie, just replacing the vanilla with cardamom. The icing was just icing sugar and enough lemon juice to get the right consistency (about 200g icing sugar and most of the juice from one lemon). It's worth noting that these cookies have a noticeable cardamom flavour, which some might find overpowering if you're not keen on cardamom. It could easily be halved, with the shortfall being made up with vanilla perhaps.

Here are some photos!

lemon cardamom cookies 1.jpg

lemon cardamom cookies 2.jpg

lemon cardamom cookies 3.jpg

Ian pointed out that the flood-iced cookies look like babies holding their arms up, lol :rolleyes: I'm just glad they didn't look like, well, something else... :eek:;)

Last but not least, my brother bought me a recipe book I've been after for a while...

bravetart book.jpg

Woohoo! Can't wait to try some of the recipes! :D :D :D

Reaction score
@Becky, I want your brother to adopt me! I am a Stella Parks SuperFan! I looooooove her work! I'm so excited for you. YaY to the Brother:D

Reaction score
@Becky, I want your brother to adopt me! I am a Stella Parks SuperFan! I looooooove her work! I'm so excited for you. YaY to the Brother:D

He's a good'un :) Although secretly I think he's just hoping I'll make him lots of treats from the book! :D

Been reading through it and can't decide which recipe to start with... I've been wanting to try making nougat for a while, so I'm tempted to make some Milky Way bars. Watch this space!

Reaction score
He's a good'un :) Although secretly I think he's just hoping I'll make him lots of treats from the book! :D

Been reading through it and can't decide which recipe to start with... I've been wanting to try making nougat for a while, so I'm tempted to make some Milky Way bars. Watch this space!

Ahhh nougat is the death of me...strange I love it so much because I don’t care for overly sweet things.

I accidentally bought a cookbook today. I drove to the bookstore to buy my niece a book. The bookseller had stand out front with books on sale. One copy of Dorie Greenspan‘s cookie book was right there in plain sight—I kid you not, right next to the door as I was about to cross the threshold. Dorie’s Cookies has a red tag with 50% off! Apparently it was their last copy, so they marked it down. I was so excited I grabbed it, ran straight to the cashier and bought it. I was so thrilled I just about skipped back to my car. Then I got home I realized I forgot to get my niece a book :rolleyes: Oh well...next time.

Dorie's Cookies has a section called Cocktail Cookies that are savory and sweet savory combination cookies. I am so excited!! Ive wanted to do savory cookies for a while. :D

Reaction score
It was my birthday on Monday, and I got some rocket cookie cutters from a friend! I've been meaning to try out @Angie CupcakeQueen's sugar cookie recipe, so this felt like the ideal opportunity. I added ground cardamom instead of vanilla, and topped them with lemon icing.

Here is the recipe converted into weight:

225g butter
200g granulated sugar
1 egg
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
385g plain flour
Seeds from 20 cardamom pods, ground

Icing made from icing sugar and lemon juice (orange juice would also work well)

I followed the approach described by Angie, just replacing the vanilla with cardamom. The icing was just icing sugar and enough lemon juice to get the right consistency (about 200g icing sugar and most of the juice from one lemon). It's worth noting that these cookies have a noticeable cardamom flavour, which some might find overpowering if you're not keen on cardamom. It could easily be halved, with the shortfall being made up with vanilla perhaps.

Here are some photos!

View attachment 1780

View attachment 1781

View attachment 1782

Ian pointed out that the flood-iced cookies look like babies holding their arms up, lol :rolleyes: I'm just glad they didn't look like, well, something else... :eek:;)

Last but not least, my brother bought me a recipe book I've been after for a while...

View attachment 1779

Woohoo! Can't wait to try some of the recipes! :D :D :D

The cookies look and sound wonderful Becky! Love the rocket ships! So cute!

Reaction score
Dorie’s Cookies has a red tag with 50% off!

Well at half price it would have been rude not to! :D I've not heard of that book before, but I just had a look via Amazon's 'look inside' thingy. I can see why you are so excited about it!

The cookies look and sound wonderful Becky! Love the rocket ships! So cute!

They are delicious! Thanks so much for the recipe, I can see why you like it so much. The texture is gorgeous, they're surprisingly light :)

Reaction score
@Becky, Greenspan‘s cookie book is so extensive it was years in the making. I didn’t think I needed another cookie book since the vast majority of people like one of four home baked cookies: chocolate chip, peanut butter, shortbread, sugar cookies.

And I did not realize how extensive Greenspan’s book is…her cookie book is destined to become a classic.

Ask a Question