Forgot to put butter in lemon curd!

Reaction score
So I'm making lemon curd to put in between layers on a cake I'm making... and well I "finished" but realised I didn't put any butter into the mixture

Do you guys think what I've made will be OK? It tastes great! I've just set it in the fridge to set a bit, but it "covered the back of a spoon" as the recipe said

This is the recipe I tried to follow

https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/homemade_lemon_curd_15350

Reaction score
So I'm making lemon curd to put in between layers on a cake I'm making... and well I "finished" but realised I didn't put any butter into the mixture

Do you guys think what I've made will be OK? It tastes great! I've just set it in the fridge to set a bit, but it "covered the back of a spoon" as the recipe said

This is the recipe I tried to follow

https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/homemade_lemon_curd_15350

Hey @Daniel! No problem you can beat the butter in after the fact. In fact that is how I make my curd all the time. Pierre Herme, who wad selected greatest pastry chef in the world a few years ago was so tired of greasy curd that he Started experimenting and found that if you used a blender to beat the butter in after cooking the egg mixture you ended up with this incredibly beautiful smooth creamy curd. I just made some last week

It’s a paler yellow than a traditionally made curd, but boy is this stuff good. I never really cared for lemon curd because it tends to be greasy when the butter is cooked with the egg. But when I started using Herme’s recipe Ineas hooked.

I use Meyer lemon which is a hybrid between a mandarin orange and a eureka lemon. If I don’t have Myers then I’ll mix Cara Cara oranges and eureka lemons or pink grapefruit juice and eureka lemons.

This is the batch I made last week
B86EB7F1-0497-4EFE-AFA3-F10076E9C57C.jpeg

Reaction score
Ooow that's good, I didn't want to waste it, I'll mix the butter in and probably make scones to eat it with.

The cake turned out great, I'll be posting photos later

Reaction score
Ooow that's good, I didn't want to waste it, I'll mix the butter in and probably make scones to eat it with.

The cake turned out great, I'll be posting photos later

Great I’d love to see your cake. Forgot to mention you don’t melt the butter; just let it warm up some on the counter top to about 20°C - 22°C (68°F - 72°F) and warm the custard base to about 55°C ( 135°F).

Reaction score
how was the lemon curd? happened to see your thread and it got me excited on how it went.
It turned out great, I mixed in soft butter afterwards and it was grand, very similar to how it normally turns out.

It was very sweet, when I normally make it it has a bit of a tartness, but I guess these lemons were less sour than others

J13

Reaction score
Hey @Daniel! No problem you can beat the butter in after the fact. In fact that is how I make my curd all the time. Pierre Herme, who wad selected greatest pastry chef in the world a few years ago was so tired of greasy curd that he Started experimenting and found that if you used a blender to beat the butter in after cooking the egg mixture you ended up with this incredibly beautiful smooth creamy curd. I just made some last week
Is this the same recipe as for Hermes' lemon cream tart?

Reaction score
Is this the same recipe as for Hermes' lemon cream tart?

Yes @J13,
Hermè calls it lemon cream, it’s the same as lemon curd. The only difference is he beats the butter in after he cooks the egg lemon mixture. Curd is notorious for being greasy because the butter breaks during the cooking. Herme just saw the obvious—make an emulsion and no more greasy curd. Totally brilliant!

Ask a Question