Forgot to put butter in lemon curd!

Discussion in 'Disaster Help' started by -Daniel-, May 10, 2019.

1. -Daniel-

-Daniel- Well-Known Member

So I'm making lemon curd to put in between layers on a cake I'm making... and well I "finished" but realised I didn't put any butter into the mixture

Do you guys think what I've made will be OK? It tastes great! I've just set it in the fridge to set a bit, but it "covered the back of a spoon" as the recipe said

This is the recipe I tried to follow

https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/homemade_lemon_curd_15350

-Daniel-, May 10, 2019
    Norcalbaker59 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. -Daniel-

Norcalbaker59 Well-Known Member

Hey @Daniel! No problem you can beat the butter in after the fact. In fact that is how I make my curd all the time. Pierre Herme, who wad selected greatest pastry chef in the world a few years ago was so tired of greasy curd that he Started experimenting and found that if you used a blender to beat the butter in after cooking the egg mixture you ended up with this incredibly beautiful smooth creamy curd. I just made some last week

It’s a paler yellow than a traditionally made curd, but boy is this stuff good. I never really cared for lemon curd because it tends to be greasy when the butter is cooked with the egg. But when I started using Herme’s recipe Ineas hooked.

I use Meyer lemon which is a hybrid between a mandarin orange and a eureka lemon. If I don’t have Myers then I’ll mix Cara Cara oranges and eureka lemons or pink grapefruit juice and eureka lemons.

This is the batch I made last week
    B86EB7F1-0497-4EFE-AFA3-F10076E9C57C.jpeg

Norcalbaker59, May 11, 2019
    1. Advertisements

3. -Daniel-

Ooow that's good, I didn't want to waste it, I'll mix the butter in and probably make scones to eat it with.

The cake turned out great, I'll be posting photos later

-Daniel-, May 12, 2019
    Norcalbaker59 likes this.
  4. -Daniel-

Norcalbaker59 Well-Known Member

Great I’d love to see your cake. Forgot to mention you don’t melt the butter; just let it warm up some on the counter top to about 20°C - 22°C (68°F - 72°F) and warm the custard base to about 55°C ( 135°F).

Norcalbaker59, May 12, 2019
  5. -Daniel-

deb.Williams New Member

how was the lemon curd? happened to see your thread and it got me excited on how it went.

deb.Williams, May 13, 2019 at 5:13 PM
  6. -Daniel-

It turned out great, I mixed in soft butter afterwards and it was grand, very similar to how it normally turns out.

It was very sweet, when I normally make it it has a bit of a tartness, but I guess these lemons were less sour than others

-Daniel-, May 13, 2019 at 7:03 PM
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question