Letting Go Of Stuff

Reaction score
I used to collect books, too because I'm such a reader and I believe others would find the same things in that book or this book useful or inspiring or beautiful or....you get it.
But I watched a Hoarder show and wow did it feel good to lighten my life by the time I finished. The books were the first to be sorted and ruthlessly evaluated. Now I have only one little bookcase with ONLY the most absolute best books that will not leave my possession until they are handed down at my death. Copyright 1856, on up.
I tackled the kitchen next, and Man, what a job that was. It took as long to do that room as the bedroom and the spare room. But it's done!!!!! I have empty floor space, my surfaces are bare except for photos, and on and on.
Now, when I go to the thrift store, I have a specific reason and won't buy anything else. And I'm super careful when I ride along with my friends, cuz I know me and don't want to be talked into anything, or get caught up in the excitement of scoring a good deal....

I know what you mean about the excitement of a deal. My daughter has one of those big Casio keyboards and I saw a keyboard stand for it at Goodwill.
The problem is, there was a man looking at the keyboard AND stand.
So when he went to the electric outlet to test the keyboard, I grabbed the stand and asked the manager to put a price on it. I paid for the stand and ran out of the store with it before the keyboard guy came back with the keyboard.
He should have taken the stand with him. Never underestimate the determination of a mother trying to buy something for her kid.
I don't leave anything sitting around Goodwill that I'm interested in, because once you set it down, it's fair game for someone else to pick up.

Reaction score
Growing up, my parents were very cluttery. I would even say on the lower end of hoarding behavior to be honest. As a result I tend to be pretty minimal when it comes to possessions -- too much mess or clutter or things with no purpose or beauty aren't things that I want to keep around! I try to constantly revise what I have in my house and if it's not getting used I either try to donate it, sell it, or give it away to a friend or family member that will get the use out of it. That way everyone wins!

Reaction score
That's exactly the same way I was raised as well - I had to get away from the clutter and as such I try to minimalize it wherever possible. I can't stand being blocked in by my own possessions. That feeling makes you feel dirty.

Reaction score
Same with me! My parents are still like that now. I sometimes wonder if it is because they grew up right after the depression and you kept everything because you might need it some day. I too like to go through and "purge" my stuff! It is amazing what one can accumulate after 22 years of marriage and two kids! :)
Now that my kids are teens - less clutter because the toys are gone! Now it is just clothes! LOL

Reaction score
I grew up in a very cultured household and my mother and step father both collected antique stuff which made life worse not better.
I promised myself I would not fall into the same trap, and to the most, I didn't.
Several years ago, my husband and I sold everything we owned (bar a few boxes) and gave up our rented home in the countryside and left to follow our dream.
Decluttering took months (on top of a full time job that is) and I sold a huge amount via ebay (such to the point that my paypal account got frozen because they decided it was being used as a business and wasn't registered as such). It was a hugely rewarding experience and setting up home again on our return was great. We now have a small rented home and I look at it and think, that needs to go, that needs to go.... and it will.... honest.

Time to have a clear out again, I think.

Reaction score
I think it just feels nice to have plenty of space to move, the place feels "Feng Shui" enough to except a certain flow of energy without blocking the internal workings of the room itself. Perhaps I've watched too many extreme home makeovers, but 8/10 times the people are hoarders that they helped rebuild the house.

Now, this is not to be confused with packratting. Clutter happens as a result of packratting, but you can control it. Make it like organized chaos at least, if you know I'm saying. Some people just leave everything all willy-nilly about.

Reaction score
The hardest thing for me to get rid of is clothes because I always think I am going to wear them again at some point, but never end up doing it. I have learned to be much more picky in my clothes selections so that I won't buy something I won't end up wearing. Seems to be working for the most part.

Reaction score
I used to be like that too, Tina. I'd have a closet full of things I could potentially wear, but more than likely never ended up using them again. They just sit there in storage piling away and then the pile gets so huge... gotta part with those old articles, specially if they're ancient relics of a time gone by...lol

(waves goodbye to his old 80's outfits)

Ask a Question